Rear defrost not working

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
blckspder

Rear defrost not working

Post by blckspder »

I have a 92 mx-3 its in excellent working condition, runs like a champ but the rear defrost went, the light for the button doesnt even come on ne more could this be a blown fuse? let me know, thanks.

Antoni
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

could be or the light behind the bottom went out or the thin wires that are in the rear hatch could have been cut. i have a small cut on mine damn thing doesn't work at all
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

There's 2 fuses that protect the rear demister.

If the indicator light doesn't come on the one to check is the "defogger" fuse in the engine bay. The other one is for the control circuit which is on the "meter" fuse under the dash - but its unlikely to be that as other things wouldn't be working either. Its unlikely to be the grid itself as the indicator light should work regardless.

When you check the fuse, pull it right out and even replace it as it could be blown but you may not be able to see it easily.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

you can also check the relay. thats what was wrong with mine and i had the exact same problem so its a good thing to check.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Shades

Post by Shades »

My relay melted... it's behind the fuse panel on the left side of the drivers side.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
blckspder

Post by blckspder »

We figured it out it was the fuse in the engine bay, Thanks!! I appreciate it!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

alot of the time it can be from the wire in the glass. sometimes over time and being on too much, wire will beak.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Josh wrote:alot of the time it can be from the wire in the glass. sometimes over time and being on too much, wire will beak.
The little indicator light should work though if the grid is open circuited.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
MX3driver
BANNED Member

Post by MX3driver »

I had the exact same problem and it my the fuse in the engine bay!
Ive been banned for moronic childish behavior.
mx34u2nv

Post by mx34u2nv »

i had the same problem on my winter car.........melted the relay and most of the wiring under my dash......tail lights, dash lights. I had to rewire hole thing......
Full fx designs body kit, Apex lowering springs tokico struts, walbro fuelpump, klze, 17" sachhi wheels, b'm short throw shifter, ractive frount and rear tower bars, kl36 ecu. all for sale....pending

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”