klt? removed vris?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

klt? removed vris?

Post by hgallegos915 »

I hope this isnt a repost..i tried searchign.anywho

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-KL ... enameZWD2V

i mean yes its a good engine...but itneresting is that he claims he ported the manifold and REMOVED restrictive vris... isnt the vris what gives our cars the boost at higer rpms? what happens if we remove em and port the manifold?? anyone? will it run like krap? I got an extra manifold i would like to play with and access to a machine shop.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
MX3parkerGS

Post by MX3parkerGS »

well VRIS opens and closes throughout the rpm's right?('boosting' our car when it is open), if its removed thatd make it on 'boost mode' if u will lol all the time wouldnt it?

me=not too familar with VRIS
'94 White MX-3 GS. Engine bay empty and waiting for the 2.5DE.

Completly stock, at this time.

Parker
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Most people who go turbo remove their VRIS. VRIS is only beneficial to N/A vehicles.
slimmyslim1420

Post by slimmyslim1420 »

Would you have to port the Manifold to remove the VRIS? Or what would be the process of doing so? Is it a lot of work or a few small modifications?
1992 GS ZE swap 94 dash swap drilled and slotted rotors full ceramic pads CS SS clutch and brake lines KL-36 ecu zx-2 tokico struts eibach springs short shifter Tenzo exhaust Hi flow cat 2.5 in piping
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

First of all, VRIS will be beneficial to either a NA or Turbo engine. However, less so to a turbo (but only alittle less). The problem would be getting enough vacuum to open or close the VRIS butterflies under boost. You also could have the VRIS break and then get into the combustion chamber. So most people just ditch it and forget about the problems that it might cause.

Removing it is easy. It is a few screws and the VRIS butterflies and then sliding out the VRIS shaft and blocking it off where it exits the manifold. The hard part is getting the maifold off and then taking it down to it's two pieces to get at the VRIS.

Porting the manifold is a good idea if you ae running a higher boost engine. On a NA motor it is not needed b/c the lose in air velocity would make for poor power in the low end. You can port our intakes with acid or extrude honing (running a thick paste sand material through it which basically sands the intake from the inside) Both are best done by professionals. VRIS would need to be removed if you port the intake b/c the VRIS plates would then not block the air and thus you would be basically running without VRIS anyway.

PS, removing the VRIS will not effect the car electronically in any way. The car only sends signals to the VRIS it does not take any information from them.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”