Coolant leaking

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Shadow_Mx-3

Coolant leaking

Post by Shadow_Mx-3 »

Hi, <BR> I am having a problem with my car. There seems to be coolant dripping from the second cap in my car (not the one on the radiator the one on the pipping).<P>It smells burnt as soon as i open up the heat in my car (when it's been i while that i am driving) and eventually since it's burning up it's making white smoke come out of my hood (passenger side). <BR> <BR>First thing i did was to change the cap itself thinking that maybe the one i had was old and broken for some reason but it's still dripping... <P>I was wondering what would be the next step. The first thing i think would be to change <BR>my thermostat and see if that help.<P>Also when my car is parked downhill (in my driveway) and i turn it on and backup to get out i seems to be loosing coolant from the coolant bottle. It goes about from the F mark down to the L mark (almost like it's calculated) and it only does that when i park downhill. The rest of the time when i am normally parked it keeps it's coolant.. Dunno if it has anything to do with my problem but i thought i would mention it.<P>Also when i went to the mechanic today they checked my car and said that the problem came from the gasket between my cap and the thermostat.. Does that make sense to someone ?<P>Thank You for you help in advance.
Jean-François
Now Mazda MP3 2001 Owner
The MX-3 is sold !
Mark2611

Re: Coolant leaking

Post by Mark2611 »

For sure your coolant system is taking air somewhere.<P>If the gasquet is broked it mean that air can get in the coolant system and therefore allow your cooling system to drain when on a slope (when the rear of your car is higher). The reason is because the level of coolant in your engine get hire then the overflow hose (near the second cap you mentionned). Usually it would not because with only one open hose in your cooling system the coolant would not drain. Same reason why you make 2 holes in a liquid container when you want to empty it because with only one hole the liquid would never get out. However see if you see evident crac or wear on your gasquet or ask your garagist why he suspected that particular part. Does he see wear, crac ETC???). The smell in your car and the smoke you see are cause by that same reason There is air in your system therefore when your engine is hot the hot air get mixed with hot coolant vapor and come out by your overflow hose (near where you can see it coming out of your hood). That vapor get in your car by your air intake for the heating of your car that is somewhere near the engine.<BR> <BR>Finaly if you can do mechanic maybe you can try to change the gasqet yourself if you see crac or wear (see the manual posted on this site) it is not so hard and will cost you about 10$. Or you can inspect or make inspect the radiator and any hoses of your cooling system.<P>Hope this help<p>[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: Mark2611 ]
Shadow_Mx-3

Post by Shadow_Mx-3 »

Thank you for your help ! <P>I will let you know when i find what the problem is.
Jean-François
Now Mazda MP3 2001 Owner
The MX-3 is sold !
Potatoes

Post by Potatoes »

Since we're on this topic. I have a leak as well and wondering if anyone has some insights. I have antifreeze comming out of the heater unit (I think). It's comming from the thing inside the car behind the dash (where the stereo system is). Can the heater core leak?? or is it something else.<BR>~Dean
JJ

Post by JJ »

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM (MY COOLENT WAS LEAKING)....BUT MINE WAS LEAKING FROM THE PART THAT THE CAP SCREWS ON TOO (NOT THE ONE ON THE RADIATOR BUT THE SECOND ONE LIKE U SAID) ....FIRST I CHANGED THE CAP THINKIN IT WAS THAT BUT IT WAS ACTUALLY THE PLASTIC PIECE THAT IT SCREWS ON TO. IF YOUR PIECE IS PLASTIC THEN IT COULD BE CRACKED AND NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. MAZDA NOW MANUFACTURES A MORE REINFORCED PIECE ITS METAL!! HOPE THIS HELPS U OUT IN ANYWAY.<P>P.S.<BR>whY WOULD MAZDA PUT A PLASTIC PIECE UNDER THE HOOD THAT IS SURROUNDED BY INTENSE HEAT!!!???!!!<BR>WHO KNOWS BUT ANYWAYZ<BR>PEACE!!<P>-JJ-<BR> :eek:
mxcess

Post by mxcess »

Hey french fry :D j/k. Potatoes, yes it is your heater core. The heater core looks like a mini radiator that has two hoses going to it located under the dash like you said. Don't confuse it with the A/C condenser(usually smaller in size), but they are in the same area. You might try a name brand sealant to stop the leak or try to replace it yourself. Shops want to charge an arm and a leg to replace them since in most cases they have to tear the whole dash apart. Don't know about how easy the MX is to do, but I would try the online manual to see if it is too complicated for the normal shade-tree mechanic.<BR>As for you shadow, I would let a garage do a pressure test on your system to see if it does have a leak. The coolant when hot expands to fill the reservoir(the plastic bottle on the side) and when you kill the engine and it cools down the radiator is supposed to draw a vaccume and suck the coolant back into the system. If it does have a leak, it will not suck the coolant back in and so it gets even hotter then starts to overflow. Also check to make sure the hose in between the reservoir and the radiator doesn't have a hole in it. You ever try to drink a soda with a hole in the straw? Doesn't work!!! :D Hope this answers your questions and let us know what you find out. <BR>BTW-Sorry so long, but I get excited sometimes and I'm trying to stop the habit of pissing on the floor like a cocker spaniel! :D :D
Raivynn

Post by Raivynn »

Coolant leaks? Sounds all too familiar. My car is due for a new water pump/thermostat, to try and find something that will make it quit leaking. There was a pressure test done (I think it was 15 pounds of pressure put on the system)and it didn't LEAK, it's not the heater core. <BR>If your heater core is bad, then your passenger floorboard will be wet (when the heat is on) and if you open the glovebox, you can smell burning anti-freeze (which resembles the smell of silicone). <BR>My car has to have water added to the resevoir at least once a week, otherwise it's bone dry. It's dangerous running straight water thru the system (being this close to winter and all), but I have no choice because I don't have the $300 I need for the water pump and timing belt (both are going to be replaced at the same time to save some frustration)...<P>Y'know, just so you know you're not alone when you say "My car leaks coolant!"
Shadow_Mx-3

Post by Shadow_Mx-3 »

It think it is fixed !<P>Got the mecanic to replace the part below the cap (called cap filler i think)<BR>+ the o-ring under it as well.<P>Since mine was made of plastic i had it replaced with the new one<BR>Mazda made after (in metal) and it seems ok now !!! Let's just hope for<BR>the best :)
Jean-François
Now Mazda MP3 2001 Owner
The MX-3 is sold !
Shadow_Mx-3

Post by Shadow_Mx-3 »

Since then never had a problem.
Jean-François
Now Mazda MP3 2001 Owner
The MX-3 is sold !

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”