VID: Our RX-7 @ 9k RPM for 5 min...

A forum for posting automotive related Images & Video Clips. (Please keep it clean, no profanity or offensive material.)
Kenzie

VID: Our RX-7 @ 9k RPM for 5 min...

Post by Kenzie »

Hope this works...let me know if it doesn't:
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.asp ... 5BA56E&p=0

I'm sure some of you have seen this floating around the internet the past few months. (It might have been posted on here already?) Anyway, I wanted to set the story straight. We've been getting a lot of bad feedback on import boards and it's pretty frustrating.

Please read my post on MX6.com for the full story:
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.ph ... ge=3&pp=15
My name on MX6.com is Kenzie and defrag010 is one of my boyfriend's best friends.

If you see this video posted on any other boards please let me know.

Thanks
Kenzie
::'94 MX-3 GS::KLZE::
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

ugh thats painful to watch, i only lasted 2 mins :crying:

i realize it was already a pos, but still
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

See, I don't understand why ppl keep saying that.

1. The engine was SHOT and not rebuildable.

2. The rear bumper and tailights were already damaged because some girl hit the passenger side while my boyfriend was driving it. (The taillights were not damaged by the flames)

3. The exhaust was old and needed to be replaced. (Was removed that day.)

4. The 7 is now in near perfect condition...other than the paint and tranny.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I still don't get it. What was the whole purpose of running at 9 grand for so long? What if there was a major fire in the engine, or projectiles departing the engine bay when the engine let go, or just one big bang with someone getting hurt? A lot more damage could have happened (engine bay, headers, electrics, wiring etc) than just terminating the engine. There must be better ways for shits n giggles?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Watched that before. Both of the other two ppl that I have watched have also lit stuff on fire. About 5 mins maxed out, 1 lit the bottom of their vert on fire, the other one lit his bumper (much like your friend).
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

jschrauwen wrote:I still don't get it. What was the whole purpose of running at 9 grand for so long? What if there was a major fire in the engine, or projectiles departing the engine bay when the engine let go, or just one big bang with someone getting hurt? A lot more damage could have happened (engine bay, headers, electrics, wiring etc) than just terminating the engine. There must be better ways for shits n giggles?
I guess it was a risk my boyfriend and his friends were willing to take. (I wasn't there that day) They did it while very few ppl were at the shop and everyone understood that they should stand as far back as possible. I'm not saying it was the smartest thing for them to do...I'm just tired of everyone calling us rednecks and idiots. (Like we don't value our cars at all. Other than our daughter, our cars are the most important things to us...however shallow that may sound.)
As for other stuff on the car being damaged. It's basically all been replaced. The only thing we really needed was the shell.
(BTW, they did have fire extinguishers and water handy but my boyfriend didn't hear them yelling that it was on fire cause it was so loud.)
BuGS wrote:Watched that before. Both of the other two ppl that I have watched have also lit stuff on fire. About 5 mins maxed out, 1 lit the bottom of their vert on fire, the other one lit his bumper (much like your friend).
My boyfriend and his friends were kinda inspired by another video that they saw...some guy ran his 7 til it finally dumped all the coolant and after about 10 min it blew up. I think it was a white 2G convertible.
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

In your defense Kenzie, a friend and I thought of doing something similar to my motor when I eventually get a swap...

Idea was to tap 5 or 6 unmetered and untiped nitrous lines into my intake and run like a 500 shot of NOS on the track and just see how many runs we could get out of it. But now we have a different plan.

You only get to live once, and honestly... When you have another motor ready to drop in and don't have a use for your old beat up crap motor, what is wrong with red lining it and blowing it sky high?
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Because molten machine parts flying loose at several thousand RPMs have little thought for other metals such as your thin firewall or hood after coming thruthe block. They will cut thru em like butter and if you are lucky, they will miss you and others around the car at the time of explosion.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

atlantamx3 wrote:Because molten machine parts flying loose at several thousand RPMs have little thought for other metals such as your thin firewall or hood after coming thruthe block.
Or other critical parts like hoses, wiring harnesses, rad etc. As Perry mentioned the collateral damage that's possible is not worth that short bit of "fun", IMO.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Focal

Post by Focal »

totally ridiculus thing to do. It not even funny it is just dangerous and stupid.
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

:roll:
---------

You guys list all these things that could've happened but they didn't. I respect the fact that they "could have" but almost everything you do in life has a flip side. You go bungee jumping and the cord could break, you skydive and your parachute could fail, you drag race and you could get nailed by the guy in the lane next to you (or better yet...you're a real idiot and street race...gee what could go wrong there!?) blah, blah, blah.

And it's not like we do this on a daily basis. Like freyguy_412 you only live once and it's likely that we'll never get to do this again.

jschrauwen, you know I respect your opinion so I'm sure I don't need to remind you of that. You always seem to be the voice of reason and wisdom (haha :wink: ) around here but it all goes back to the whole "what if" thing...if you live your life like that all the time you never have any fun.

atlantamx3, you always seem to be so negative so I expected this type of comment from you. (But regardless, all comments are welcome. :wink: )

BTW...I don't care if you don't agree with what we did. I just hate ppl criticizing us w/out knowing the whole story.
Also, if you do post a negative comment at least take the time to explain why you feel the way you do.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Kenzie wrote::roll:
atlantamx3, you always seem to be so negative so I expected this type of comment from you. (But regardless, all comments are welcome. :wink: )
I dont think I am that negative... I just dont like the same questions a million times. I can give (and HAVE given) some pretty good advice over the years.

By the way- I think its kinda cool. I was wanting to do this to my SOHC before we swapped it out... but its kinda hard to do it an Automatic! LOL

I was only explainging WHY it was dangerous to some of the other members who may not have understood why people were fussing at you.

I havent even seen the video to tell you the truth.

I think if you were going to do this on any engine, a rotary would be THE choice to do it since there are so few moving parts. NO pistons to come flying thru the block or anything. Hell, I mean the rotors have a big hole thru them that would keep them in the block- so if anything this is the safest engine to do it on.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

The :roll: wasn't meant for you... :wink:
I dont think I am that negative... I just dont like the same questions a million times. I can give (and HAVE given) some pretty good advice over the years.
You're right, I'm sorry if that came across as rude. You've given me some good advice a few times. And after reading your first post again I can see that it's probably directed more toward freyguy_412 than me.
BornSticky

WTF

Post by BornSticky »

WTF oh my god what is wrong with that guy im so mad but it was also cool to see. I would have had the car he didnt need to do that to it .......... :x
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

eh dont let them get to ya kenzie i thought it was pretty cool they do that stuff all the time at my local car shows they take all fluids out and c how long it lasts. if the engine wasnt really good i would have done the same its just interestin to see u all just need to relax and try and enjoy it some ppl just take things to seriously and do not quote me on this if ur goin to argue bout it. i wanna do that myself someday maybe to my k8 if i cant sell it in time
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2

Return to “Images/Videos Forum”