New Speakers Sound Worse than stock

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
meee61

New Speakers Sound Worse than stock

Post by meee61 »

I just recently installed a new deck (well a used Sony model # CDX-L350, which is rated at 4X50w, other than that I do not know much about the deck). I had the factory speakers all around and it sounded sub-par of course. I have just installed a set of 150 watt blaupunkt speakers in the rear (6.5'' two-way, model number pcxt652). The problem is these speakers sound no better, if not worse than the factory ones, there is alot of distoration. I checked all the speaker connections and verified that the wiring was correct, but I can't figure out why the sound quality is so poor.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be??
Brycek

Post by Brycek »

well your head unit is prolly not helping, sony is known for low quality car audio stuff, it's a good idea to stay away from them if you can. a high pass filter would help your speakers to sound better too.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yeah, lessen the bass and maybe try a cross over to get rid of any distortion. Aftermarket speakers anticipate that you will use a sub so they don't have much bass or mid range. The stock speaker had to handle all the highs, mids and bass in one speaker, but if you are going aftermarket they expect that you will get a speaker to run each level.
Sounds like you need an amp too.
Check your head-units RMS power and the RMS power of your speakers. 55watts is max power and 150 watts on the speakers is the most they can take. What you want to really look at is the RMS, it is the REAL amount that the head0unit can put out and on the speakers the real amount they need to operate their best. If the head-unit puts out alot less than the speakers call for you will end up blowing the speakers up. Yes!! blowing them up from too LITTLE power.
You might also try running new wires from the head-unit to the speakers. The factory wiring is going to be old and corroded. Fresh new. slightly larger, wire will work much better. (notice I said Slightly larger wire)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

No kidding. Our stock wiring is PUNY! It's like... 1 strand covered in insulation! Haha! It's woefully inadequate for running larger amounts of power...
No more MX-3.
meee61

Post by meee61 »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ya the stock wiring is really poor, the wires are so thin so I may end up replacing the wiring. But it sounds like the biggest issue I have is the lack of bass and mid range these speakers can handle, a crossover is probaly a good idea. I have a 150 watt sub just a matter of finding an amp.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

what brand is that..... that could be the issue to crapy brands don't sound the best. When it comes to sound spend the money it pays off. :wink:
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

It's always a good idea to check the phase on all speaker connections. Especially if splicing was done.

PATDIESEL wrote: If the head-unit puts out alot less than the speakers call for you will end up blowing the speakers up. Yes!! blowing them up from too LITTLE power.
Interesting Pat. Why would the speakers blow up :?: :shock:
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
meee61

Post by meee61 »

Ya I know the speakers are not the best quality but they are not the worst either. They sounded a whole lot better in the girlfreind's car then they do in the Mazda.

How would I check the phase on all the speakers?
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Match the wire polarity on all speakers. The phase is in relation to the wire polarity. If they are crossed the speakers will actually work in opposition (180° out of phase) and sometimes sound like crap. It may make a difference and sometimes it's not a big deal. Mostly depends on environment constants (the cars interior.) Usually the lower frequencies are noticeably affected.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
DizzeeRascal

Post by DizzeeRascal »

:? i'm lost on all this...i gotta start reading up on this stuff..sounds important
...like a fat kid on a smartie

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”