Quiet Muffler that will not Restrict ZE Performance?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I love the sound of my K8 and my magnaflow muffler, but could do without the drone. Does the ZE have a drone like the K8 and is it louder or quieter overall?
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
Macen

Post by Macen »

I need more inputs, guys.
Too many have posted that their Magnaflow system sounds way too much. After I installed the Magnaflow cat. and resonator, my system sounds way too much. And I don't think that getting a Magnaflow muffler will help either.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

As long as you stay away from the freer flowing components, you should be able to quieten it down. It's a trade-off IMO, how much exhaust noise are you willing to accept for the improved performance. Increased backpressure will improve low end torque at the expense of high end. Give and take option I guess.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
neumann

Cheap mods to tone it down?

Post by neumann »

My new to me MX-3 has a dual tip exhaust that is unbeleivably loud. It is pretty funny but it could drive you insane.

Others mentioned resonance between 2000 and 3200 RPM which is certainly true. Under load at those RPMs it is like a space shuttle taking off.

It was installed two owners ago by Midas as their house brand Ravin' Performance exhaust but appears to be this Volt muffler:
http://www.supremeperformance.com/Displ ... px?pid=362

as this model # 200320 is what appears on the docs i have and Arvin Meritor who make Volt mufflers bought the business that used to be Midas' manufacturing arm.

anyhoo.. while I am not usually incredibly price sensitive, this is just my winter car. I am willing to put money into things like a new set of Toyo winter tires, but is there any way of modding this cheaply just to quiet it down a bit?
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: Cheap mods to tone it down?

Post by jschrauwen »

neumann wrote: Others mentioned resonance between 2000 and 3200 RPM which is certainly true.
Don't think anyone can ever eliminate that harmonics range but increasing the back pressure to seems to make things a bit quiter. Those that stick to oem as much as possible will usually achieve the best results. Before the ZE swap I would routinely go to Midas every 1.5 years for a new muffler because their generic lifetime warranty unit wouldn't last more than about 2 years. That said I don't believe one would be looking at a "quality" muffler which needs replacing almost every 2 years. A few more $$ spent for a Mazda recommended or oem replacement may make all the difference.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Macen

Post by Macen »

Maybe I should add another resonator instead of the catalytic converter?
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Macen wrote:Maybe I should add another resonator instead of the catalytic converter?
I believe there's more back pressure provided via the CAT then substituting it with another resonator = making it a bit quieter.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Flowmaster has a good freeflowing designe, but through the delta chamber method they have developed. This keeps is fairly quite with a good inbetween mix of backpressure and flow. IMO it is the best of both worlds without giving too much one way or the other. I also have impressive HP and TQ numbers from the dyno to prove it has good gains.
Another MOCA member has the same set-up motor and headers, but with a Magnaflow cat and muffler and it is AWESOMELY loud. He clocked something like 130 decibels at and Autocross.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Macen wrote:I need more inputs, guys.
Too many have posted that their Magnaflow system sounds way too much. After I installed the Magnaflow cat. and resonator, my system sounds way too much. And I don't think that getting a Magnaflow muffler will help either.
Myself, I have a magnaflo muffler and hi-flo cat and i'm very content with the sound and i dont consider it loud at all.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Macen wrote:I need more inputs, guys.
Myself, I have a magnaflo muffler and hi-flo cat and i'm very content with the sound and i dont consider it loud at all.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Macen

Post by Macen »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Myself, I have a magnaflo muffler and hi-flo cat and i'm very content with the sound and i dont consider it loud at all.
Some say that Magnaflow are loud, some say they are not. After adding cat and resonator, I must agree that they are.

What Flowmaster muffler do you recommend, PATDIESEL?
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

My Magna Flow is louder than stock but quieter than some other ricer set-ups. I was willing to accept the trade off - hp vs decibels.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I've got 2.5" all the way, no cat, 22" magnaflow resonator, and the Borla muffler from the probe exhasut systems with the tips cut off and re-welded closer to fit on the MX3.

It sounds great and you hardly even know it's on at idle. Borla won't sell the probe muffler individually so you either have to buy the whole system and cut off the muffler ($$$$$). Or wait till someone decides to sell just the muffler. I got lucky and found someone selling it. I waited awhile though.

I wouldn't have done it any other way. We joke around that it looks more stock now than when I had the stock exhaust.
Last edited by hppwdn on December 12th, 2005, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

OK, so...an apropriote exaust for a KLZE that would be unrestictive, but quieter than most ricer systems, the following parts woudl be recomended...

Rear Silencer - http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shop ... ain&id=762

Pre Silencer - http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shop ... ain&id=653

Cat - http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/universal/530.aspx
with 2.25 inch piping all around.

Now, I must as a favore. I'll be ording and assembling my own exaust system, and the only thing i need to know is the piping. Could somebody give me mesuremnts of piping, how much between the cat and resonator, were the bends are, the degrees of the bend. I'm a bit of an exaust newb i guesse you coudl say. Any help would be appreciated, also a diagram woudl be nice.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I'd go with as long of a resonator as possible.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shop ... ain&id=505

More length equals better sound.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”