Broken key

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
eman

Broken key

Post by eman »

Hope I am in the right forum.
Is it possible to remove an imbedded (broken- off) key in door lock,
without having to call a locksmith or mechanic?
A pair of tweezers perhaps? I am asking before I attempt this,
in case some has had prior experience with this. I'd hate to scratch up the paint.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

best bet to use spare one or get one from dealer and open other door. then you take door panel off and see if you can push it out
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Focal

Post by Focal »

you could try to drill into the lock with a small bit and try to dril into the bith of key left over. That might work and pull it out.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

No offence Focal, but do NOT drill into the lock. There is a whole in the back side of the lock. Like Mitmaks said, get in the other door and open the door with the key in the lock. Then take the door panel off and you'll see a hole in the sheet metal directly behind the lock. There is a hole in the back side of the lock that you can put a strong paper clip into and push the old key out.

I have a crappy key design (thanks to Mazda) that has a very thin spot in the teeth right next to the key's round handle. Over time my keys start to bend and eventually break. I've had to pop a broken key out about 4 times.

If you cannot get the key out you can remove a bet metal wire that holds the lock in and the lock bars and take the lock out. Then you'll easily see the broken key and a way to push it out. Caeful when putting the lock back in. The bent metal wire that holds it in can be a bear to get to clip back in properly. If it doesn't sit just right the lock will fall into the door the next time you try and use a key on it. Take a look at hte online shop manual to get a look at the bent wire I'm talking about.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
eman

Post by eman »

Thanks you all for info
will remove door panel and push lock out. I just have to get a good repair manual.. unless someone here knows how to remove door panel?
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

before you do that, get yourself a good head lamp, and two small pieces of metal similar to a paper clip. Shine the light in there so u can see what ur working with, then pry away. I was able to pull out a broken key twice with the method.
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
kimlin85

Post by kimlin85 »

i broke my key in the trunk. is there a method of removing it u guys? or should i get a locksmith. i've never taken anything back there so i dont know if i can push it out. thought i'd ask first.
raspberry metallic 2.5 klze, clutchmasters stage II clutch, ss autochrome headers, kl31 ecu, magnaflow cat, twm shortshift, corksport rear strut tower bar, clear turnsignals, and lots of dents.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Focal wrote:you could try to drill into the lock with a small bit and try to dril into the bith of key left over. That might work and pull it out.
LMAO! :lol:
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”