stalling problems when cold

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
suffocated

stalling problems when cold

Post by suffocated »

hi everyone.
ive been having this problem EVERY winter since ive had my car (4 years now). basically, when i start my car cold (like when i leave for work in the morning), and i dont give it AT LEAST 3-4 minutes to warm up, it will stall on me the moment i hit my gas pedal in drive. it idles at about 1500rpm when i start and slowly drops to about 700-800rpm when its warmed up. every other car in my household i can start up and start driving immediatly. why is it with my mx-3 i have to wait? what could be causing the problem?

thanks in advance!
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

mines does that to on cold days.

it idles at about 1500rpm when i start and slowly drops to about 700-800rpm when its warmed up.

as for the stalling am :idea: could be a malfuction sensor
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
suffocated

Post by suffocated »

no, i got the sensors all checked out in november when the weather started getting colder. i did the same the last few years as well and it doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem. same with the TPS too.
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS
Focal

Post by Focal »

almost all cars idle alot higher when they are cold. There is a sensor that measure the temp of the oil and automatically adjusts the idle till that temp is incresed
suffocated

Post by suffocated »

yea but not all cars stall when you try driving them immediatly after start up. its weird...
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS
jimishadow

Post by jimishadow »

thats coolant temp suffocate, not oil temp,,,,,,chec timing and ignition wires,always warm up your engine in cold weather.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”