Why is my cars engine poulsing from 1k RPM's to 3K RPM's????

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Amber

Why is my cars engine poulsing from 1k RPM's to 3K RPM's????

Post by Amber »

I have a 1993 MX-3 V6 GS and i just got the oil and filter changed last weekend! But ever sence then whenever i go to start up my car it starts to rev its own engine from 1K RPM's to 3 RPM's not fast but slowly! DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY ITS DOING THIS!?!?![/b]
Amber K
shawno

Post by shawno »

hey yea my car did that to it would feel like the cluthe to slipping but it wasnt. So i changed my plugs, wires and cat and rotor. and it all went a way. but the wires are expensive tho like 130 plus.
MX3 GSR for dummies

Post by MX3 GSR for dummies »

sounds like it could be a couple things but before I illaberate, a little more info....is this reving occuring when your car is in idle or drive?
If at first you don't succeed....it never happened

94 mx3 GS w/ KLZE, KL31 ECU, clutchmaster stage 3, cross drilled rotors, Custom ram air intake, Custom exhaust, Toyo tires, 250LPH fuel pump, Modified Distributor, Upgraded Wiring etc, external HEI, Full Body Drift kit and freshly painted Grey. Interior neon accents and much more in progress
Amber

Post by Amber »

My car only does it when its in idle! When it first started doing this it usually stoped after it was warmed up! But now it just wont stop!
Amber K
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Like GSR said, it could be a number of things. It may be that it needs an accurate TPS adjustment. How's your coolant level been lately? Has the car come close to overheating lately? Perhaps the coolant thermosensor is unserviceable. Even an air pocket in the cooling system could work it's way to the area of the thermosensor whereupon it would not be in contact with the coolant getting the impression that the engine may be cold and therefore it would bump up the idle and then increase the coolant flow where it would come in contact with the thermosensor again and then re-adjust idle back down to normal again. And this process could go back and forth continually. There may be a couple things at play here. How handy are you around the engine?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Amber

Post by Amber »

A while back my car over heated and i put a new radiater and the coolant was low! I dont know if that has any connection with whats happening now! And when i checked it tonight it was low! And i have 3 older brothers who are great at working on engines and my dad ........Soo......
Amber K
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I'm guessing a leak in the intake.... classic symptoms. Check for cracks in the accordian hose after the MAF.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Grants wrote:I'm guessing a leak in the intake.... classic symptoms. Check for cracks in the accordian hose after the MAF.
Dohhhh, there I go forgetting the obvious.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Amber

Post by Amber »

Thanks ill check that and then ill check in with you later!
Amber K
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Sounds like your car's idle is in the "hunting" mode. Did the "Check Engine" light ever come on? If so you may want to do a diagnostics readout.

Some things to check in accordance to what was posted by other members already:

1. Idle Switch
2. Air leakage ( vacuum & intake )
3. Air Cleaner element
4. Air Flow meter
5. Ignition
6. Spark Plugs

I had a related event one very cold morning on the way to work a while back. I never found out what caused it because it stopped doing it after the engine warmed up and never returned. :D Good luck!
Amber

Post by Amber »

I had a related event one very cold morning on the way to work a while back. I never found out what caused it because it stopped doing it after the engine warmed up and never returned. :D Good luck![/quote]
Yeah thats whats happening to me! It finnaly stops pulsing after its warmed up! But my heater stoped working it jsut blows cold air out! So im wondering if my thermastat is out!?!?!
Amber K
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

Check the coolant level and for any leaks. If it's leaking coolant from the water pump it will need replacement. If the water pump is faulty, might as well have the timing belt changed also if it's withing the interval to do so. ( every 60,000 miles )
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
81 Trans AM NASCAR Pace Car
80 Trans Am INDY Pace Car
www.MyMX3.com Domain For Sale!
My Feedback File
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Amber wrote:I had a related event one very cold morning on the way to work a while back. I never found out what caused it because it stopped doing it after the engine warmed up and never returned. :D Good luck!
Yeah thats whats happening to me! It finnaly stops pulsing after its warmed up! But my heater stoped working it jsut blows cold air out! So im wondering if my thermastat is out!?!?!
Ok, there we go. Possible thermostat stuck closed and possibly air locks within the coolant system that would affect the coolant thermosensor. A lack of circulating coolant means that the TB is not getting warm coolant running through it either which on extremely cold mornings can make a big difference.
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

An open thermostat would cause the heater problem you describe if you only drive a short distance.
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File
FlyVFR
Supporting Member

Post by FlyVFR »

jschrauwen - I did not see your post before I posted the previous. I agree with you on the closed thermo. on short distance. But it would probably overheat on long drives, I guess :?:
Stock 92 MX-3 GS
93 MX-3 GS KLZE
98 BMW 328IS
My Feedback File

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”