I think I need a new alternator...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
freakyalien

I think I need a new alternator...

Post by freakyalien »

Every time I step on the brakes, turn my stereo up, kick on the rear defroster...etc, etc, etc....my lights will dim or you can hear my engine running harder

Now I don't know much about cars at all, but I'm guessing that it is the culprit here.

I'm pretty hard on my alternator I'd image, with what I do to my stereo and extra lights everywhere....What would a step up from the stock alternator be? How hard is it to install one?

Thanks
Vroooom
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

I have the same problem - I read in the faq that a GS alternator might swap in and has more power (90 amps) - i might try it next week. There is also a possibility of using a 110 amp alt from a klze engine - but it might need some extra wiring.
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

if u have an rs car and want to swap in a bigger alternator have fun especially if you have the dohc engine after swapping to the gs alternator it kept snapping all my belts.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Did you change the alternator pulley while swapping? Because the gs uses a different pulley and you have to get the pulley from the original alternator for the swap.
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

definetly did but im beginning to think that it also may have done some other damage cause now my car makes a funny grinding kind of noise but its not really grinding and it only does it around 2-3rpm its not really noticable while im driving just when im in neutral revving it a little i think its just a loose bolt or something i really dont recommend this swap or you will have headaches beyond belief i struggled with the issue for 3 months before everything was bakc to normal running status.
Spotted

Post by Spotted »

Try upgrading your ground points. You can pick up a grounding kit on ebay for like 20 bucks with shipping. I only added 1 ground wire directly to one of the alternator mounting bolts straight to the ground terminal on the battery. Before that my belt would squeal like crazy and break like every 3rd week. One time I broke 2 belts in the same week. Drove me CRAZY. After I added the ground cable I have not broken a belt in 3 years!! I am going to add other grounds also. I understand it will help a lot.
Hope that helps!!
:welder:
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i have the MX-6 V6 alternator in both my MX-3

IN my 92 BP MX-3 i changed the underDP since they use 2 different belts Vbelt and a mico belt flat looking one. use the pulley of a 1.6 sohc and the MX-6 V6 alt. left the pulley that was on the alt. bolted on the alt put belts on wired it up rigged it a little bit runs fine never snap belts sqwels.

On my 93 sohc MX-3 bolted on the MX-6 V6 alt. didn't swap out alt. pulleys rigged up the wiring ran fine never snap any belts no sqwels.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

You might also think about getting a capacitor. It may be cheaper than reboulding/buying a new alternator. They vary from $50 to $190 USD, but they're well worth it :twisted: . It also protects your alternator from crapping out on you when you have things in your car that draw alot of power (i.e. car stereos). It works as a kinda middle-man between your alternator and you lights/other equipment. Instead of hitting your alternator and forcing it to draw power from other items to compensate(like your head lights), it hits the capacitor and draws from IT instead of the alternator :P . They usually last quite a few years, but when they blow it isn't pretty. You'll probably know before it blows that it WILL blow, so don't worry. I have a pretty heavy system in my car and I'm about to get one from Monster Car Audio for about $90. BTW I have a 92 MX-3. :wink:
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

Thats something I haven't thought about, thanks a lot...I'm going to go check in it.
Vroooom
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

If you need i have a lightly used Bosch reman. alternator for the sohc that i used for 1 year, that i can sell for 60$ plus shipping.
Let me know.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

I just quit my job, so I doin't have much spare money...I'm going to stick with this alternator until it comes inches away from death, then buy a new one :)
Vroooom
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

well if you need it its there , its just chilling in a box in my room.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

when u switch ur alternator. Make sure u have your battery tested - a dying alternator could have negative affects on a battery, and vice versa
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”