question about performance parts

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

question about performance parts

Post by Bumpysbro »

what kind of performances am i limited to put into my car since i live in cali? like what cant i put in my car? so itll give me a broader understanding of what i got to choose from. my dad says it wont pass smog if i alter the engine or the car in any way but i talked to a ton of people and they say diff. haah hard not to trust my dad but hes used to working on VW 67 buses haha thnx

Jon
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
freyguy_412

Post by freyguy_412 »

Best thing to do is do a search on your cities website for the municipal codes. I've heard that you can be cited for modified intake, exhaust, headlights/taillights and suspensions, but that usually they only ding you for those if you're caught racing or driving wrecklessly. If you play nice I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you race on the highway and get caught they're going to ding you for everything they can. Best bet is to know the laws as well as the police do.
It might be slow, but it's not a civic!
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ahh allright thnx, i do drive pretty wrecklessly sometimes haha but ill go check that out :)
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
freakyalien

Post by freakyalien »

freyguy_412 wrote: I've heard that you can be cited for modified intake, exhaust, headlights/taillights and suspensions,

...wow

The only few things I know of here in Oregon you can get in trouble for is loud (increadbly loud) exhaust, windows tinted beyond 35%, and different colored lights then what they should be. Other then that, as far as I know, its open to whatever.

Sorry from straying from the topic, but that list suprised me.
Vroooom
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

California is pretty strict on what you can and cannot do. Checking local laws is a good idea before you watse your money or get a ticket. You also have extreme laws on emisions, so be careful what you do that may affect your emisions too.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”