KLZE or KLDE? I been researching for a while, need more advi

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

vozaday2000 wrote:the KLZE comes from jspec mx6's enus(sp?) 800(millenia), and 626's. they are being pulled out of the cars with relatively low mileage because of japanese smog laws. they generally have 30-50,000 miles or 50-80,000 km's.
Yeah, they only drive a car from anywhere 5 - 8 years at the most and just get another or decid to go subway. with over a million people in the streets a day, I can't imagine why =)

Also before you buy a motor from someone who says it's a JDM import, Ask for paper work, Shipping order, Anything that proves it actually came from Japan. Too many fraudulant people out there just waiting to rip you off.
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

It's a fact: Due to the lower compression, the DE will support higher boost at lower RPM.

IMO Mileage is irrelevant, but condition of engine is what I would go by. I can get a DE from an Automatic MX6 for $120 locally if I pull it myself. I looked under the VC and it's clean, just like a ZE might be. You can be sure that the KL engine is good for 250+ K miles so who cares if has average miles (12-15K miles a year * 10 years = average miles).
My 136K mile 626 had regular maintainance and runs just as good as it did new, posts like-new mileage, and is great engine for a swap if I am so inclined in the future. You have to be a good shopper.

Also, when considering a DEs times in a drag race, just remember that the DE has same torque rating as the ZE, and torque is what wins races. HP sells cars and starts flame wars. Not to say that the ZE might be underrated, but more compression and better flowing heads should = more torque, and thus better elapsed times, IMO.
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"
93_mx3_gs

Post by 93_mx3_gs »

Kinda funny how 2 engines at different HP ratings produce more torque.
Cool thing about torque it's just what gets that damn car moving. horse power is what gives you the top end. You could have all the torque in the world and like 50 HP and you won't do jack squat and vice versa.

Ditto on the self engine pull thing. Got to love self service junk yards =D
They even let you use their engine hoists and carts :D
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

That is pretty wierd
The KLZE has better flowing heads, high CR pistons, more agressive cams yet it produces the same amount of Torque

I have been thinking about it
I guess I will go for a KLZE unless I can find a KLDE in good shape for $300.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
ikarus1

Post by ikarus1 »

93_mx3_gs wrote:Kinda funny how 2 engines at different HP ratings produce more torque.
Cool thing about torque it's just what gets that damn car moving. horse power is what gives you the top end. You could have all the torque in the world and like 50 HP and you won't do jack squat and vice versa.
Both KLs are rated the same torque @ similar RPM, per Mazda's official specs. :roll: Personally I think the ZE is underrated, but that's just IMO.
Supposedly torque and HP is the same @ 52xx RPM on all internal combustion engines IIRC. Maybe that is just V8s, but that would explain why honda's have 100 ft/lbs of torque and 170hp @ 8000 RPM.....I do know that the ZE has higher RPM power than the DE so that's where the HP comes in at, as you stated.
Torque falls off above the peak, but it's better to have a flatter curve, like the KL V6s have. Also, top end is a result of your gearing not just HP.
93 White MX-3 "Ebay special"
94 Green 626 V6 5-speed "family car"
94 Mazda B2300 SE "project turbo truk"
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Off the subject but I wonder what type of times a MX3 with a 400lb diet would go for at the 1/4mile
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hey socan someone tell me where to go get a nice klde or a ze.im in texas..where in arizona is that? i wouldnt mind driving cross state for an engine. Im at the tip of texas..arizona 8 hrs away. I may stick to klde locally.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”