Double Clutching?

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Dragon1976_27

Double Clutching?

Post by Dragon1976_27 »

I'm new to the terminolgy of racing, etc. Just learning, and was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what double clutching is, and how is it better than I guess "normal clutching"
Paragon

Re: Double Clutching?

Post by Paragon »

Shades

Post by Shades »

Double clutching bad for gas... uses more gas especially at 91.9 cents a litre... holy crap!
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Dragon1976_27

Post by Dragon1976_27 »

I'm lucky enough to be in Chilliwack, where gas is only 85.9cents per L. How does double clutching work? Is it better for your car? :eek:
EHeye

Post by EHeye »

If im not mistaken it means you put in the clutch to take the gear out, release, put clutch in and place into higher gear or vice versa. I dont know the upsides to it, but i think it would be slower.
92 TSi AWD 6/4<p>14.74@98mph all day long
BRING ON THE BRACKET RACING!!
blackmx392

Post by blackmx392 »

lol i live in chilliwack 2 :P wut kolor is your mx3??..sorry a lil off topic
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

No one double clutches - modern cars have syncros there is no need, F&F is gay for using the term.
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

Very good article. Definitely gotta start trying some of those techniques. I'm alright on the rev matching for downshifting one gear, but not two or three. Never really been a fan of the heel-toe either. That just feels awkward, but maybe I need bigger pedals or something.
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

There is no advantage with Double Clutching on cars today. The synchros do all the work and it would probably just wear out your clutch faster. I wouldn't suggest it on our car unless your Transmission synchros are on their last legs. Also Double Clutching is typically only used in downshifting. That's why you wouldn't see a Drag racer double clutching. Rev matching when shifting gears is a good thing to get into the habbit of doing. It will greatly extend the life of your clutch and drivetrain.

Yeah, with Fast and the Furious, they were out to lunch when they made that movie. They didn't know what they were talking about. Remember, Don't blow the welds on your intake! Haaa Haa Haaa! :laugh: Idiots...
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Or the whole "Danger to manifold!!!" And his floor goes out???

BTW: According to some magazine, using downshifting for stopping and revmatching actually saves gas. It was a weird article we thought it was joking, but since then our only friend that wasn't doing that in his 300zx has started to and get gained 2mpg around town :)
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

I don't buy the gas savings, but I will say that it saves on your brake pads.
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

well brake bads are a lot cheaper then a new engine. Downshifting puts conciderable strain on the entire engine and will drastically accelerate valve seal issues. When you down shift there is a vaccuum drawn by the engine, so yea its ok to do somewhat especially if you rev match, but doing it on a regular basis will kill your car
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

schuttie2002 wrote:well brake bads are a lot cheaper then a new engine. Downshifting puts conciderable strain on the entire engine and will drastically accelerate valve seal issues. When you down shift there is a vaccuum drawn by the engine, so yea its ok to do somewhat especially if you rev match, but doing it on a regular basis will kill your car
wurd
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Shades

Post by Shades »

One advantage of double clutching is that it's easier on your transmittion and clutch... and yes it uses more gas.

It helps for smoother shifts when down shifting, instead of that little jerk you get without.

I like to double clutch so that I can pull out of a corner faster.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

As far as I'm aware, you don't need to double clutch when pulling out of a corner. You should be able to do that by quickly applying a bit more gas before you let your clutch out and rev-matching instead.

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”