How to tell GTR from GTX

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
placham

How to tell GTR from GTX

Post by placham »

Hi, just wanted to konw if here is a way of telling a differance between GTR and GTX (BPT).
Will be buing a front clip/cut/half with a BPT has AWD.

Is it a GTR, or do GTX's also come with AWD?

GTR and GTX are basiclly same engines but with few engeenere and power output differances right?

I know for example Nissan engine SR20DET, could tell a differance of the engine by their valve covers AKA red top, black top. Seen same for TOYTA 4AGE had something like blue top, red top, silver top, black top,
Silver and black top were 1.6L 20v 4AGE quad throttle body engines rather than 1.6L 16v 4AGE single throttle body older engines.

Thanks , any websites with pictures of them know that they have different internal camshaft design, and dfferent type valves with some metal to help with heat
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

The GTX's were AWD too.
bpc8 will also be on the back of the intake manifold (underside of one of the runners) if it's a gt-r. did it come with any intake pieces? the gt-r has a metal pipe. the gt-x injectors are black, and the gt-r's are orange. i'm digging this all up from memory, so i know there's more. there's something with the fpr too i believe. you're right justin, the gtx mani will not bolt up to the gt-r turbo. take a look at the underside of the intake manifold and see if there's anything stamped on it.
The difference btwn them are a web stiffened block, rods, cast nickel foam pistons, cyl head casting, valves, cams, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and the VJ-23 ball bearing turbo. I don't believe the GTX exhaust manifold will bolt up to the VJ-23, so it may be possible that who ever had it before upgraded the turbo and mani.

That should help.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
placham

Post by placham »

THANKS, PLANNING ON DOING A 4CYL SWAP INTO 6CYL MX3 PUT BPT INSTEAD OF THAT K8ZE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT WGHAT EVER THAT V6 IS CALLED.

LOTS OF PEOPLE SAY IT'S HARD SWAP AND COST MORE TO DO.

MORE THAN LIKELY WHEN I GET THE FRONT CLIP WITH THE AWD ALL I'M GOING TO HAVE TO DO IS GET DIFFERENT TRANS POSSIBLY AXLES AND MOUNT FOR THAT NEW TRANS, AND JUST USE THE OTHER MOUNTS FROM THE BPT TO INSTALL INTO MX3.

NOT A BIG FAN OF V TYPE ENGINES, LIKE 4CY OR THAT NISSAN STRAIGHT 6 TWIN TURBO.

THINK 4CYL IN MX3 IS EASIER TO WORK ON AND HAS POSSIBLY MORE AFTERMARKIET PARTS THAN V6 K8ZE OR THAT KLZE.

MX3 ENGINE BAY IS KIND OF SMALL NOT AS BIG AS PROBE AND THAT V6 JUST TAKE LOTS OF THAT SMALL SPACE, THINK 4CYL IS MORE SUITABLE FOR THAT SMALL CAR.

OH ONE MORE THING, DONT HAVE THE ENGINE YET HAVE TO DO MORE SEARCHING TO MAKE SURE IT WILL WORK IN THE V6 MX3 WITH OUT ENGINE BAY BODY WORK. IF I WILL DECIDE IT WILL MORE THAN LIKELLY BE BPT WITH AWD FRONT CLIP DONT KNOW IF gtx or gtr, WOULD HAVE TO WAIT FOR IT TO GET HERE.

SEE WITH NISSANS ITS EASIER YOU CAN FIT A SR20DET=I4, RB25DET=I6 SINGLE TURBO, RB26DETT=I6TWIN TURBO, ONLY HAVE TO SWAP SOME TRANSIMISSIONS, MOUNTING BRACKETS, CRADLES, RADIATORS, BUT IT WILL FIT AND WORK, HELL I EVEN SEEN SB350 V8 IN THEM INFINITY V8

BUT WITH MAZD I SEEM THAT I CANNOT FIND AN ANSWER ANY WHERE, ITS BASICALLY JUST DOING IT WITH HOPES THAT IT WILL FIT OK AND WORK SOMEHOW OK. OR I'M JUST NO SEARCHING IN THE RIGHT PLACES, OR PEOPLE JUST DONT DO THAT KIND OF SWAP FORM 6CYL TO 4CYL
placham

Post by placham »

JUST WANTED TO KNOW

ON MAZDA (JDM) DO THEY COME WITH THAT METAL PLATE ITS LIKE 4INCHES BY 4 INCHES, I KNOW ON NISSAN EVEN THE (USD) HAD THAT PLAET AND IT STATE WHAT TYPE OF CHASSIS, MOTOR, TRANS

DO MAZDA US SOMETHING SIMILLAR

IF SO HOW TO TELL WHEN BUYING A COMPLETE FRONT CLIP
placham

Post by placham »

HEY atlantamx3 GOT THIS OTHER QUESTION CAN A ROTARY BE FITTED INTO AN MX3, IT'S SMALLER RIGHT, SMALLER AND MORE POWER THAT THE WAY TO GO????????????????????

JUST KIDDING

HHHAAAHHA LOL

what kind of body kit/front bumper does that white mx3 have that one on the web site under your picuter web link
StylinMike

Post by StylinMike »

If you mean the one on his website, its a MS front.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

That's my car...

There are pictures of it in the gallery section.
placham

Post by placham »

thanks

jaydog5678 the link to a website/forum type next to your cars pictures. it has a how to swap, is it the same for I4 and V6 MX-3's doing the BPT swap. For V6 MX-3 probably have to replace all the mount to that I4 engine you are puting in right?
If I get a front cut can I use most of the stuff from it, also some of the mounts, probably not the one for the transmission because it come with AWD and MX-3 is only FWD so will have to get new trans and mount for it right?
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Well, if you get the front cut, you still need all the engine mounts, subframe, trans, from the cars listed in my swap page. You need to convert the electronic speedo gear to a cable driven gear and the instument cluster to accomadate. The GTX radiator may not work as a direct fit for the Mx-3. There maybe some other things that I have forgotten but the v-6 to I-4 swap is about a pain in the a-- doing it vice-versa.
D323

Post by D323 »

jaydog5678 wrote:Well, if you get the front cut, you still need all the engine mounts, subframe, trans, from the cars listed in my swap page. You need to convert the electronic speedo gear to a cable driven gear and the instument cluster to accomadate. The GTX radiator may not work as a direct fit for the Mx-3. There maybe some other things that I have forgotten but the v-6 to I-4 swap is about a pain in the a-- doing it vice-versa.
external coil, coil relays, assorted vacuum hoses, shift linkage, exhaust reworked, wiring harness (I wouldnt even try to convert the v6 harness),... I am sure that I am forgetting somethings...
GS + BP + T3 + 9lb flywheel - some dead weight = ;)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”