Alternator for the 3rd time

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Cpl_Bryant

Alternator for the 3rd time

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

LONG story short:
I've got the 93 4 cyl. When I first swapped in my BPT, the charge light was on. I put in a rebuilt alternator (for the Protege LX of course) after it finally died one day. THAT alternator died shortly thereafter on my way to get the car inspected. Their machine said it was putting out zero volts. I had them put in another alternator and again it worked fine. Until now today it started doing the same things it did before it died last time. I'd step on the brake and the stereo would turn off and back on, lights dim, etc. Luckily it started up after I got out of work today and make it back home. I charged the battery, but it only needed a little anyway. How can this alternator be bad as well? Is the Protege LX alternator too weak for the BPT? I can't see why. This is incredibly frustrating and EXPENSIVE. Please help.
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Although this may not apply, but I just picked up a good used one from Probetalk for 50 bucks shipped. I'm not sure if their 2.0L 4cyl alternators are a match for our 4cyl ones. Just thought I'd throw that out there as a possibility.
*John*
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

I got a little digital voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and it reads 14.3 most of the time. I turned on all my accessories (stereo, fan, headlights, etc...) and it went down to about 13.9 or so. Finally one day I could not start the car and had to get a new battery.
So now I have a new battery and the charge light continues to be dimly lit after some driving.
What is going on? Voltage regulator? I think AMPS is the problem. PS I have the Civic projector headlights with those bulbs. Could they be causing too much draw?
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Do you have an audio system?

Anything that draws too many amps can kill an alternator. Also Do NOT clean them with any type of solvent. It can destroy an alternator.

Do you have a capacitor by chance? (1+ farad?)
Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

I do have an amplifier that powers 2 12 in subwoofers. I am still using the same audio setup I had prior to the BPT swap. No capacitor, actually I have one that I haven't put in yet.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Hey, isn't there a mode to swap in a GS 90amp into an RS?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”