Insurance regarding modification

A Forum For Ontario MX-3 Club Related Topics.
Selecta

Insurance regarding modification

Post by Selecta »

Hey everyone,

I have heard a lot of conflicting information when it comes to add-ons to the car. Currently the car does not have anythign major done to it to warrant any concerne. However, I am eventually going to be putting a turbo in the car and wanted to know how to go about keeping everything on the up and up. I mean how much does insurance spike when you report something like that...or do they simply cancel the policy.

Is there another way to insure the vehical and still keep it on the road. Any assistance on this matter would be apprecaited.

Thanks
Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Depends...

Talking with ExperimentX, and he was saying last night some insurance companies consider CAI's ae forced induction and void any claims.
Also, i was hearing that though the ERACE program inspections, they could call up your insurance company if they saw you had a turbo to make sure they know about it.
MX3Extreme put a supercharger in his Integra, and his insurance company didnt want to insure it, but they did anyway since he's been with them for so long and with a clean driving record too

So, engine and performance modifications are complication when it comes to legality and insurance.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

That's what I figured would be the case. And I know one can chance it by putting it on and hoping you don't get busted etc. But then you risk having the policy cancelled.

I know serveral people have modifications such as turbos and blowers on the board (Canada)...maybe they can provide some more insight.

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

it also really depends on the insurance company. i'v heard one story where a guy went to insure a used car he bought that had rims on it, and they said "no problem, after you remove those"
some companies can b real dicks about it, others don't care.
Gabor

Post by Gabor »

hi SELECTA

r u crazy? :shock:

dont tel the insurance nothing.

the turbo is not a toy. u gonna need some things on the side. atleast a 2.5 inch ixhaust all the way straight (u can forget the emision test at the legal way), biggir fuel pump(a lot biggir) a lot bettir clutch , spark plugs , and its good to have a turbo engin(other vise u gona kill it no time). the turbo is gona provides more air in to ur engine,its mean u gona need more fuel :evil: (94 Sunoco) :)

the turbo is for speed . the iinsurance nose that to :x
if u have a acidante and the insurance pay ur damage , ur insurance will kicking the sky, i garante u :roll:

be readi for all the speeding tickets . :) they in the turbo package :)

but what the hell.u live only once. my suggstion:if u go with the turbo, go all the way or dont go at all. :wink:
Gabor

Post by Gabor »

one more thing: its a lotof fun its definetli worthit.

its better then a bad sex :lol:
phredren

Post by phredren »

^ Yeah that's probably the worst advice I've ever heard. Look at it this way, if you do all these modifications and DON'T tell your insurance about it, and then you get into an accident, they can DENY your coverage because you misinformed them on the nature of the car they are insuring.

My insurance company knows about my engine swap and my fully adjustable coil-overs... it's all in the way you word it.
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

Gabor just likes speed and lots of it lol its not bad advice its just his own experiences advice haha
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

I know what you all are saying...on one had there is no need for the company to know. But if I am in an accident they may simply not pay for the aftermarket parts or simply deny the whole thing.

I think the best thing to do is call up and ask the hypothetical to see where they stand on the issue. I mean if they are going to totally tight about it then I would have to see if it's worth telling or simply taking my chances...etc.

Devlin

Post by Devlin »

also keep in mind that if they cancel u'r policy because of modifications when u get in an accident....u'r liability goes away as well, and whatever damage to the OTHER CAR is on u'r bill (as well as the OTHER DRIVER) if it is at ALL u'r fault.
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Dang....this be some crazy stuff.

havoc13

Post by havoc13 »

I'm with state farm and I was asking them about customizing I asked them what I would have to tell them about and they just said engine modification like performance stuff
Always under construction
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Well picked up the phone and basically called the insurance company up and this is what they had to say

If you do any engine or wheelbase modifications and you tell them ... they can pretty much not insure the vehical. If you do all that and don't tell them and you are involved in an accident then they can deny the claim and cancel the insurance based on mis-representation.

There is one company in Toronto which will insure modified vehicals but they need to be 15yrs old and you have to apply to be covered and depending on the review you can be accepted or declined.

So either way you go about it you are between a rock and a hard place. You can do it and it would all be good....till you get into an accident and a claim is put in then things get messy.

So bottom line..if they don't know then you are ok.

Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

I've found in many cases companies will go along insuring your car as stock even if you have modifications on it with understanding that later if there is an accident they will only cover stock repairs or losses. So if your aftermarket bumper or rims are smashed up they aren't going to pay for it but rather just pay for stock replacements.

Almost 99% of companies will not insure the car if there is engine modifications or if a more powerful engine has been swapped in.

On the other side of it though they don't mind aftermarket rims or stereos or other minor stuff, some will charge you extra for that if you want it covered, others won't.

It is just the engine stuff they are so picky about, even an aftermarket intake can piss them off.
sk8erdude28

Post by sk8erdude28 »

They don't like suspension mods either.

Return to “Ontario MX-3 Club”