Disabling Thermostat

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

oil level and coolant levels stay good....I think there is a clog in the heater coil...I'm gonna check tha too.....thanks for reply....
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Billyd wrote:damn.....car stlll runs strong and everything....no funny smoke or weird noises so I didn't think head gasket...any possibilty not just water pump huh? The oil looks fine, and I think the sludge is rust, cause car sat for months and obviusly coolant never changed, radiator never flished.....oh well. I'll check water pump this weekend and if that's no good I'll try head gasket. Thanks guys!!!
Replacing the head gasket is a pretty big undertaking. Might be worth having a trusted mech check the motor out to be sure before you go that route. Also, your 70/30 coolant mixture is too much antifreeze (if I read correctly, you put 70% antifreeze in there & 30% H2O) Don't want to exceed 50/50, especially in your area where low subzero temps don't happen. Antifreeze can penetrate and leak around gaskets more easily than water so if you do have a leaking headgasket, it would be worse with that High% mixture. I learned this the hard way on another ride I used to own.
Image -Jim
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

well if oil and coolant levels stay good it's not your head gasket. if you only flushed your system out once you should do it quite a few more times, considering you had all of that sludge in it. i had to do that with my bpt because the engine was sitting around for a couple years. i probably flushed the system at least 10 times this summer (just to make sure it all came out). i would usually run pure water in it for a couple of days and then flush it out. then i ran some of that radiator flush. after that i flushed it with water a couple more times to make sure all that soapy stuff was out of it. now it stays clean and doesn't run hot.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

awesome. I'll try that too....thanks for advice!!!
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

Hey Neutral thanks for your replies too....all the help is all to the good.....
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

One more thought...

I had coolant temp problems as well and couldn't figure it. I finally realized that the fan relay was gone and the fan wasn't coming on...ever.

It's worth checking.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Billyd

Post by Billyd »

Yeah I checked that too, thx! Also just an FYI I figured out the problem. The metal tube that comes out of the engine where the water goes back into the radiator (I believe it is the heater coil inlet), well it had a leak in it. It has a small rubber o-ring on it and that oring is shot. Water leaking out, air getting in. All you guys are awesome, thanks for the help. This has been the most helpful forum site for cars I've ever used. I also own a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT and a 2004 Checy Trailblazer 4.3 and never had good luck on those forums. Take care all!
alexguzu

just wandering...

Post by alexguzu »

I was just wandering: did you guys bleed the system everytime
you worked on it? I have a 94 Integra, and it has a bleeding bolt, I just
unscrew it, and air comes out at first, and then when coolant comes out,
I screw it back. I had a problem with warming up, it was the thermostate,
and now it works perfectly.
One more thing: I wouldn't trust aftermarket thermostats, I would
buy an original one.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”