New brakes

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
cyberphox

New brakes

Post by cyberphox »

So just found out I need $1000 of repairs to get my 95 GS inspected. Apparently the back brakes are shot and the calipers most likely seized.
I figure I might as well get a good set of stuff to replace these. What all will I need and how hard is this to install. I see alot of people talking about cross drilled or slotted rotors. I assume I will need new pads, what about the calipers? Do those get replaced too?
95 GS Silver Stone Metalic
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

well, you said your calipers are seized so i guess you should replace those also.
cyberphox

Post by cyberphox »

that's the dealer talking..for all i know he could be taking me for a ride
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

well for only another 300 you could get the Wildwood big brake kit. I think thats 1300 and comes with rotors n calipers. Not totally sure but hey if your willing to spend the cash go for it. Im sure you could get all that stock replacement stuff remanufactured at like an advance auto or something for under 500
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
bulaian

Post by bulaian »

yeah my mechanic quoted me $127 for replacement caliper and pads for my front passenger side, so I'd assume the backs would be about the same price.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Considering the amount of that estimate, it might be worth your while to get a couple more estimates. It's probably a safe bet that nearly half of that is labour costs. Around here reman'd front calipers are about $100cdn each. You can source from Toronto a good set of Magnum CD rotors for about $250cdn total for both front and rear. Id source all the necessary parts and find a quality shop to install it, then you saved them all of that running around and got the exact quality parts you wanted in the process. I believe that first estimate is a bit inflated by at least 200-300 dollars IMO.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
cyberphox

Post by cyberphox »

well I got some stock parts quoted from an auto supply place alot cheaper then what my rip-off mazda dealer wanted to charge. and i'm having another local mx-3 rider have a look to see what he can install. For example..calipers were $125 each at auto supply, Mazda wants $175-200. They better be Brembo's or something for that...

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”