body work question

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
CarMan1

body work question

Post by CarMan1 »

ok, i guess i must have a knack for doing bodywork, because for teaching myself, im doing an amazing job...

i was curious tho, if i put on a couple coats of primer, do u think itll hold over the winter/in the rain, or should i try to get a coat of paint on it? its getting cold here, and its almost to the point where its too cold for the paint to dry properly, i tried it last night, and the paint looked like vinyl because it dried too slow....

just curious..
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

depends on primer, if its high build or cheap spray can etc.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

its not cheap... the past couple days its been a little wet at night, and its not drippin or nothin so im hopin ill be ok then
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Primer and filler adsorbs moisture. If the car is being stored outside for the winter it might be a good idea to spray over the primer with a cheap paint you can sand off in the spring so have to take it back down to bare metal again to get to the rust that formed under the primer and body filler.
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

it gets stored in a garage... but its out in the open during the day
DoctorP

Post by DoctorP »

Absoloutely do not leave it in primer. The primer just like the filler will absorb moisture like a sponge. Put some paint over it, but not a cheap spray bomb paint. Use a either an acrylic enamel or a urethane based paint that requires a hardener. Don't get a super expensive one or nothing cus when you go to paint the car for real you are going to have to sand it all off again. Just make sure the paint requires a hardener, that will ensure a good seal. Also make sure there are no pinholes in your filler as that will allow water directly into the filler and down to the metal. What will happen is the metal will rust and eventually the filler will just fall off. Also if you dont put the paint over the primer than you will go ahead and paint and the first nice hot summer day you get the water that is trapped in the filler and primer will start to heat up and want to evaporate and the only way it can go is out which makes big water blisters on your paint and in the filler. Looks like serious a--. So put some paint over it. You can get it at any parts store that sells paint. If you ask them they might have some mis tints in the back that they will sell you for cheap. You will need a spray gun and a compressor as well as some heat or the s--- will never cure. Anyway that is just my opinion on the matter but seeing as I paint cars for a living I believe it is an informed opinion. Good luck with your project. Post some pics when you are finished.

Scott
Damn cars!!!

Return to “Appearance”