Alternator issues

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Cpl_Bryant

Alternator issues

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

I have the BPT in my 93 MX-3. The alternator that came with it caused the battery charge light to be on after startup, but off after a certain RPM.
Eventually that one died. I bought a remanufactured one from advance auto parts. Installed it myself and it worked fine. It squeeked a little all the time though.
On my way to get my car inspected it died again. This was a few days after it stopped squeeking too. So they check the car and find the alternator putting out zero volts. Great. So I had to get another alternator cause I needed my car back ASAP. Now I get home tonight and at idle, the charge light kinda fades in VERY dimly.
Is this alternator doomed to die? Does the stock Protege LX alternator not put enough juice out or what?
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cdngrl420

Post by cdngrl420 »

i had very simliar problems with my gs alternator, in an rs car your best bet would probably be to look at the quality of your belt if its on its last limbs, its too slow, or too tight it will be the culprit for your alternator.
alexguzu

I'm not sure if i can help you, but maybe you can help me

Post by alexguzu »

My first question to you is: did you put the right alternator?

The second question is: can you explain to me how you managed to pull it out? because i have been trying for a few days to pull it out, but i find no room for it to get out.
lakersfan1

Re: I'm not sure if i can help you, but maybe you can help m

Post by lakersfan1 »

alexguzu wrote:My first question to you is: did you put the right alternator?

The second question is: can you explain to me how you managed to pull it out? because i have been trying for a few days to pull it out, but i find no room for it to get out.
Pull the screws on the top radiator mount. Move the radiator back the extra inch or two that allows you. Pull the alternator. Takes an extra 10 minutes of work. Just be sure not to rub the alternator on the radiator. The stock radiator is paper thin and prone to tearing easily.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”