Ticking from tranny...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
PoisonDrop

Ticking from tranny...

Post by PoisonDrop »

I just noticed today that when the clutch is engaged (when I don't have my foot on the pedal at all) there is a ticking sound coming from the tranny. It sounds like it's coming from the part where the clutch is, but I can't be too sure. It goes away as soon as I push the clutch pedal down at least 1/4". I think I had this problem before, when I was expirimenting with slave cylinder rod lengths, but I wanna get a second opinion before I file the rod down or anything...

Oh yeah...it sounds like a light tick under the hood, but from inside the car it sounds like a chirp/squeak. The belts are fine. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the tranny side of the engine.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Oh and I noticed that it only makes the sound after the car warms up. Any thoughts? Anyone???
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

OK...for anyone who has the same problem...I think it's the clutch fork. It may be because I exteded the rod in the slave cylinder, I don't know.

But when I put pressure on the clutch fork with my hand, the noise stops. I think the squeak/rattle is the rod vibrating against the fork. I'm going to put some grease on it and see if it helps.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Ticking from tranny...

Post by Ryan »

Okay, I just had my car stand for a week and I'm having a similar problem... It does it on its own, just idling, every two or three secconds, and if i rev it past 3 its constant. if i put in the clutch it stops, were there any conclusion on this topic?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
NKY92MX3

Re:

Post by NKY92MX3 »

PoisonDrop wrote:OK...for anyone who has the same problem...I think it's the clutch fork. It may be because I exteded the rod in the slave cylinder, I don't know.

But when I put pressure on the clutch fork with my hand, the noise stops. I think the squeak/rattle is the rod vibrating against the fork. I'm going to put some grease on it and see if it helps.
Well my transmission was making the same sounds and then the next day, I can't shift to 2ns, 4th or reverse, I'm going to be swapping in a G-series transmission, driveaxels and flywheel from 1990 protege lx
1992 MX-3 1.6L SOHC since 4/10/08
1987 Supra Turbo 5spd. 57trim CT-26 15PSI 305rwhp 315rwtq

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”