Question about Bodywork costs

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
CarMan1

Question about Bodywork costs

Post by CarMan1 »

ok, next summer i plan on having a bodyshop install my bodykit and respray my car red... they are also going to have to do some minor body work, but nothing too bad... do u guys think 2500$ will cover that??

im hoping it doesnt cost more then that
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

change car color you say...want to have engine bay resprayed and interior/trunk too?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

You said "respray" so assume color is not changing? $2500 might do it but can't say without knowing details of how well the bodykit pieces fit or seeing whatcha mean by "minor body work." If the car is driveable now, take it to a couple of shops, bring the body kit so they can see it, and get an estimate for all the work. If ya find $2500 won't cover it, ya can choose to install the bodykit and/or do the bodywork yourself to hold down costs.
Image -Jim
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

ive thought about just installing the bodykit myself, since i do bodywork at home, just thought it would be easier to have it professionally done... i dunno, i might just end up doing all the prep work myself..

and the color would still be the same it is now, and no i would only have the outside repainted, since the paint everywhere else is still nice..
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

around 900USD to reshoot the car and 600-700 to hang on the kit, prep it, mold side skirts on I would estimate, but its cheap prices in bigger shops that would be anywhere up to 2500
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

ok, it would all depend on how hard the actual mounting was if i could do it... i mean i can do basic bodywork like beating/pulling dents out, taking rust off cars... de-rusting mine atm heh... i guess ill have to see what the kit looks like when i get it...
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

Well Im gonna tell you this. As far as $2500 covering what you want done. Yes you can find someone to do it for that. BUT let me ask you this "do you want it done right?" if so $2500 wont do. when I say done right I mean reinforcing the body kit, 3 or more coats of base coat paint, and at least 4 coats of clear. Then car should be wet sanded to take out any runs, orange peal ex. Finaly get buffed. A job done right is more then $2500 but you can find a place to slap it on and give you a Macco type paint job for that price. Not bashing Macco because they can give a good paint job but you will pay for it. they will also do a cheap job for a lot less. I guess what you have to ask your self is do you want a show room car or a car that will just look ok for about a year or so. A job done right could run about 4-6 grand depending on the shop. But id say if you want more info on this subject and a more exact price just do a search on here for people with show winning cars and ask them what they paid.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

4-6K I can do show quality body work
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

4-6K sounds about right for a job done right!
shawno

Post by shawno »

Hey man where are u located my buddy got his car done up all the body work and a nice nice color charcole with a fleck and pearl for 1300 $ a real deal Pm me and i will see what i can do
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

im in south bend, IN....

if anyone around here paints cars, leme know... im doing most the bodywork myself, i just need someone to spray it for me b/c i dont want to spend the money it would take to set up a paint shop in my garage
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

I put on my own body kits for my club. We get them painted and i put them on. Cheaper !!
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

neverenuff wrote:4-6K sounds about right for a job done right!
bring your car to me, ill do it for 6K :D
DoctorP

Post by DoctorP »

Material costs alone would be about 7 hun Canadian, give or take a little. The biggest problems with this job would be how well the body kits fit. All the ones I have seen fit like s--- so it usually costs a lot more to make them fit good. Like was said previously there are people who will do it for 2500 and it will probably look pretty good. You would be happy with the finished project im sure. The best thing to do is just go to some different shops, take the body kit with you, tell them what you want but not how much you want to spend. That is something they will ask you, how much do you want to spend? I work in a body shop and that ? always comes up. Be very clear about what you want and what you expect. Be clear and be firm. Than let them give you a price and you can make your decision from there. Will also give you an idea of what your 2500 will get you. Some shops won't even touch your car if you have done all the body work and prep your self cus they're rep is on the line once it leaves they're shop. Good luck.

Scott
Damn cars!!!
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

yeh i know that, i didnt do much of the major stuff, just the easier stuff... im gunna let a body shop pull the dents and stuff, cuz i dont want to fuk that up royally, im just basically removing the rust and crap

Return to “Appearance”