Possible Injector Problem?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
AshesofPepper

Possible Injector Problem?

Post by AshesofPepper »

This is an intmittant problem i have had since i got this car.

Sometimes while driving the car will start to "hop," like it would if the clutch was let out to fast on a start, and the check engine light will flash. This happens at completely ramdom times usually while accelerating betwee the 2000 - 3000 RPM range. I also expierence a loss of power occoasionally when i make turns to sharply, and the check engine light will flash. All i can think is there is something wrong with either the injectors or the fuel pump.

If this makes any sense to you, comments and suggestions are welcome, and if this makes no sense at all, my ineptitude for describing my problems will be known...

Thanks
andy

Post by andy »

There's a good chance its a crack in the intake piping. Check the plastic ribbed section just before the throttle body for hairline cracks. When you accelerate or make sharp turns the crack opens slightly and causes the symptoms you describe. If and when you find a crack the imediate fix is to wrap the pipe with "duck" tape. Then go out and replace it with a cold air intake setup.

Andy P. 93 GS
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

It could jsut be low on gas when you are turning...
However the jumping thing may not be your intake tube (It could be, but since it is not all the time I doubt it, but check anyway) If not that I'm not sure yet. Let me think somemore on it.... :?
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
AshesofPepper

Post by AshesofPepper »

I doubt it's the intake because now it seems to be happening at random times(not just in hard cornering) during low idle and is very likely to get me into an accident. It almost feels like the engine is starting to lug when it happens but the jumps are way to powerful. Also the car will shake heavly sometimes when getting into first gear. Could this have anything to do with it?

Any other thoughts?

BTW gonna go build( eg. PVC pipe) a cold air intake tomorrow so i will post something if it helps at all.

Thanks
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

How old are your spark plug wires? they can sometime cause mysterious things like you are describing.

If my tank gets low and I corner/accelerate hard my motor just sputters and bogs/cuts out, but if you experience it at over 1/4 tank thats probably not the problem.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Check your timing. I know that the computer is supposed to set it, but it may be that the disty is not tight and is moving or maybe the timing belt is a bit loose or something. It is hard to diagnose problems that are not constant.
Check your oil level too. The motor may be starting to sieze up. You oil pick-up in the oil pan may be clogged, or maybe a clogged oil passage. Have you ever run any kind of stop leak in the oil system? (I hope not b/c that stuff makes more problems than it fixes and the problems it causes are like need new motor kinda crap)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

im having the same problem, new plugs, disty cap and rotor, new o2 sensor and still does it on me...the cat is fine i thought it was clogged, my timing belt came loose a couple weeks ago but it would happen all the time and not intermitant..
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Could be clogged injectors, bad gas or a disty on its way out. Get a fuel system cleaning from a mechanic. They can do a better job than any additive from any parts place. If that does not fix it then have a mech check the resistance of the coils in the disty to make sure it is ok. Could still be the HEI in the disty and there is not a way to check it that I know of.
OH, and use a good grade, good company gas for a bit to make sure that isn't the cause. If you use a good company already try changing just to make sure.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

how do u go about cleaning the injectors? carb cleaner? ya ive been using 89 octane on my gas lately, maybe il try switching back to 87 to see if it helps...and i got a new disty but thats on tight. what are the symptoms of a clogged injector?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

mine dies the exact thing..its the disty..went to the store for a warranty return today. I get it monday. It hops like you say. Its the connector to the coil module on the fisty sde not the harness side.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

now its doing it again.... maybe cloged injectors? ill swap to the k8 i njectors tomorrow for a bit...
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”