Adjusting the timing via disty....

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nick2000

Adjusting the timing via disty....

Post by nick2000 »

This has probably been posted before, but I dont have time to search right now. My car runs really rich under full throttle and when I crank it. A few people told me the timing might not be set right on the disty. It was replaced, but that was before I got it. Can anyone suggest the way to adjust the timing without a timing light? I almost have everything fixed on the car (was given a donor car today :lol: for free) except for this.
dude33694

timing

Post by dude33694 »

best i can say is this: simply loosen up the nuts on disty and start the car... as it idles listen carefully for misfires (even the slightest sputter) advance and retard as necessary... you'll notice that when you go one way with it the idle goes up, but eventually the car sounds bad... the other way the idle falls and car will sound bad... just find the fastest idle speed you can with minimal sputtering/misfire and thighten the nuts down. Not as precise as a timing light but if you keep at it you should be fine. Also might wanna check out the plugs and wires to make sure its getting good spark, may even have an 02 sensor going bad... but timing is a good start given your circumstances. Good luck man and llet me know how it goes.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

From everything I've always been told and from personal experience you can't actullay adjust the timing on K-Series motors with the disty. Even if you do experience a slight change in sound moving it the computer will readjust the timing.

On my 96 PGT I sat there with my OBDII scanner and turned the disty all over the place. It always ended up back where it started no matter what I did.

Now if you go stand alone you can do anything you want.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Get the car in diagnostic mode. make sure nothing working (music, lights etc..) idle is around 800-900rpm. now with the timing light wire to your battery and the other wire to spark plug number one. spot at the crank pulley. you should see a little mark. Rotate the disty by loosening the 2 bolts holding it. Have someone rotated it for you while you check the mark on the pulley. Turn the disyt until the mark aligns with the 10degre mark on the timing belt cover. Once you did that relock the disty in place.
Remove the negative wire on the battery, press the brake pedal for 10sec. and replug the neg. wire on the battery. Restart the car and your done.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

In order to adjest the timing via the disty you HAVE to jump the GND and TEN pins in the diag box.
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

There is NO way to adjust the timing via the disty. You will be able to move the timing while jumping the ten and ground, but as soon as you pull the jumper the timing will reset via the ecu. Simply put, you cannot adjust the timing while using the stock ecu.
65 shot > V8
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

dewthis wrote:There is NO way to adjust the timing via the disty. You will be able to move the timing while jumping the ten and ground, but as soon as you pull the jumper the timing will reset via the ecu. Simply put, you cannot adjust the timing while using the stock ecu.
then explain to me why the shop manual tells you how to do it if you can't ?
I noticed a different sound on my engine when I do time the car via the disty.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

dewthis wrote:There is NO way to adjust the timing via the disty. You will be able to move the timing while jumping the ten and ground, but as soon as you pull the jumper the timing will reset via the ecu. Simply put, you cannot adjust the timing while using the stock ecu.
WRONG!

I have the mazda technical training video for the mx-3 produced by mazda to give mechanics/salesmen more info on the car. It was pulled from a mazda traning center that closed down and sold on Ebay.

Plus the manual says the same thing..
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

Let me guess where your timing is set....10*. Go figure.
65 shot > V8
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

dewthis

Post by dewthis »

I don't care what the manual says there is NO way to adjust the timing. It does'nt matter what position the disty is, advanced or retarded, the timing will be between 9-11*.

You show me one person on stock ignition and ecu that can advance and retard their timing.

You have to have MS or something like it.
65 shot > V8
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

I jsut did it this morning on my SE and i did it the exact way the manual says and the timing is PERFECT! id take a picture but i doubt you could see it from the timing gun

right now im currently running a stock K8 with stock K8 ecu only mod on the motor is my CAI
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I have done it as well..
The manual doesnt lie.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”