Need major help with glasspacks and resonators

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
insanerino

Need major help with glasspacks and resonators

Post by insanerino »

Hey!
I need some major help with deciding on an exhaust setup. I know for sure I'm getting the headers from psituning.ca and I'm importing the muffler that PosterT makes for the MX-3. I do not want my exhaust to be ridiculously loud. And I don't want it to sound like a ricer car. I need to get something to help tone it down a little. By the way, the car is getting a KLZE swap, and I'm sticking with 2.5" piping all the way back. As far as catalytic converters and glass packs or resonators, what are your opinions? I just want a nice even low tone that's not really loud. I'm pretty positive that I'm getting a high flow Magnaflow cat, but was else do I need? Any opinions you guys have are wide open.

-Randy
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I have a 28" glasspack and a DynoMax SuperTurbo and I must say I LOVE the sound... nice and quiet but deep in tone.

I also have a 2.5" catback with SSautochrome headers.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

A glasspack resonator will let the deep tones pass still. A 4" muffler style resonator will muffle all frequencies about uniformily.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

if you still use the K8 with the headers, was there a noticeable difference in sound?

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Try this http://store.summitracing.com/default.a ... wordSearch i put one of these on mine and man did it help and make it sound sooooooo much better!
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

if you still use the K8 with the headers, was there a noticeable difference in sound?
There is if you remove the cat. The cat is what quiets most of the exhaust down. I have Pacesetter headers on my K8.
Macen

Post by Macen »

Will a 28" glasspack silence the sound more than a 4" Magnaflow resonator?
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Macen wrote:Will a 28" glasspack silence the sound more than a 4" Magnaflow resonator?
Not sure, question is how in the heck is it going to fit. Here's a pic with the 4" diameter X 14" long plus 2.5" runners on each end. You'll notice that there's very little space left before piping has to bend around. The recessed cavity for the resonator is only so big. A 28" unit will have to be hung lower and will decrease vehicle clearance.

'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Macen

Post by Macen »

Yeah, that's what I also thought. I read that some use the 28" resonator, but I guess they don't use any catalytic converter then.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

jschrauwen wrote:
Macen wrote:Will a 28" glasspack silence the sound more than a 4" Magnaflow resonator?
Not sure, question is how in the heck is it going to fit. Here's a pic with the 4" diameter X 14" long plus 2.5" runners on each end. You'll notice that there's very little space left before piping has to bend around. The recessed cavity for the resonator is only so big. A 28" unit will have to be hung lower and will decrease vehicle clearance.

I don't know who the hell installed yours, but I'd kick em in the nads. The cat is supposed to be closer to the engine that that. The further away it is, the harder it is to heat up, and the harder it is to pass emissions. Not only that, but they used clamps instead of welding it. Very cheap work.

I fit a 35" glasspack before that bend WITH a Magnaflow cat. All the bends were put in the proper place and everything hangs on stock hangers.
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

My setup looks alot like johns, my cat bolted directly to the headers however but other than that its the same. sounds awsome too.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I believe the cat almost where it should be. Can't really get it any closer because of the headers and collector/flex pipe. Clamps are temporary because the shop that installed the cat and resonator couldn't do the SS welding at the time. Resonator is still located in the oem designated location.
LF1, if your running headers, collector/flex pipe, is your cat closer to the engine. You should know by now that I don't cut corners. The hand made SS system wasn't 100% perfect but pretty close. I'll have to wait until I take the car out in the spring to get the clamps removed and SS welding done .... no biggy.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

No. I'm not running headers. Headers are only supposed to move the flange down 2 inches or so, though. I still would have had room in my install to move things down 2" and still come out before the bend.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”