CarPC Trunk Cover Pics (97.35% Complete)

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Nd4SpdSe

CarPC Trunk Cover Pics (97.35% Complete)

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I got the most part of if done, I need to finish up some of the underside and some minor details, but I'd figure i'll post some completed pics. I should have taken more but I was going to wait until the next day, but I didn't have time to unfortunately.

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
havoc13

Post by havoc13 »

do u have more done then the last time i saw it? are u coming tonight? is anyone of the other mx3s coming with u again?
Always under construction
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Not really actually, I haven't had the chance to do anything else, and I still haven't gottem my monitor back. I bought a new transformer for my underglow neons yesterday but they aren't working, i'll have to check if the wiring on the tube that I replaced last year to see if i re-connected it after testing the transformer and check all my other connection for the rest of the tubes, and it would have even been a good idea to test the 12v into the transformer. I *may* be coming out 2nite, depends on how I feel (I'm still not feeling 100% from the cold I had last week, plus I moved about a ton a rocks Tuesday and I'm still sore that too) but also the weather, i guess their calling for cold and windy, so I'll decide basically last minute if I'm coming.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

looks good :2thumbsup:
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mrspanky79 wrote:looks good :2thumbsup:
LOL, I guess I don't have to MSN you :D
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Now THAT'S something I could use towards completing the whole Transformer theme Ive been working on. LOL! Great job, man! :2thumbsup: Puts my cargo cover to shame. hahahahahaa
What I drive: A Cybertronian disguised in the form of a Creek Blue Mica 95 MX-3 GS. :driver:
Long term goal: Fabricating a new transformation cog! :welder:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

LOL, thanks...

This is actually my second attempt at is. This cover took me about 1 week of work. I used an actual computer case, so that required minimal modifications, about 2-3 evening of painting and some slight cutting with a dremel to improve visibility.

The cover itself took me about 2 days to fabricate, it's actually 2 layers. The bottom layer holds the CarPC in place with 2 horizontal 1x1 wood pieces for support since it's very thin it would not hold the weight. I cut a hole to recess the computer case. Made sure it would clear my rear strutbar. I did that in an afternoon before supper

The second layer was finished the second day, it was actually cut he same time as the lower layer as an templace, I cut the hole for the plexi window. I found some wood molding for the front lip. The plexi and the center symbol pieces were pre-done from my overcomplicated first attempt that i started 2 years ago, that i kept at ym grandmother's garage to continue one day, but even then, it maybe would have saved me 30min to make the rest

Making the MAZDA itself took about a day. Printed out the logo on the computer and glued it to the wood. Used a jigsaw and then filed down the imperfections. It wasn't easy to be precise and delicate with a 20yr old violent jigsaw. Honnestly, I'm impressed with myself that it turned out really well, especially that the 2 A's look identical, i was worried about them looking different, imperfect.

The felting, I did the cover and the symbol in an 2 evenings, used sewing glue that requires to iron it, but i compltely forgot that part and the glue worked great, and a stapler. Both top and bottom layers are covered (one evening each). The MAZDA itself took a late evening, that one was complicated, it has a hard time comforming to the shape, plus limited materals in the smaller areas (like the center of the A's) to cover the insides to hide the wood.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i like the cover idea, and it looks good, but you should go ahead and cut "MAZDA" out and put another light under it. would look really hott then.

btw ive been meaning to ask you, what type of cooling system are you running and how does the actual computer run with the effect of the extreme temperatures the inside of a car gets to?

When i had my carpc running i installed everything in the dash thinking that it would prevent alot of heat on teh actual computer parts. It ran pritty good and i had 5 fans total, 3 over the mother board, and 2 on the Hard drive. It was starting to cool off from the summer though so i could really tell how it was going to perform from the summer heat.

Im gonna be putting another Pc in my SE, this time im just gonna go get the parts from a Shuttle pc off of pricewatch.com and possibly install it in the glove box again. (minus the case) ill just mold some plexy in the shape of the inner glove box frame to try and avoid it getting any type of
Static discharge.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

nice work
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mnemonic wrote:btw ive been meaning to ask you, what type of cooling system are you running and how does the actual computer run with the effect of the extreme temperatures the inside of a car gets to?

When i had my carpc running i installed everything in the dash thinking that it would prevent alot of heat on teh actual computer parts. It ran pritty good and i had 5 fans total, 3 over the mother board, and 2 on the Hard drive. It was starting to cool off from the summer though so i could really tell how it was going to perform from the summer heat.

Im gonna be putting another Pc in my SE, this time im just gonna go get the parts from a Shuttle pc off of pricewatch.com and possibly install it in the glove box again. (minus the case) ill just mold some plexy in the shape of the inner glove box frame to try and avoid it getting any type of
Static discharge.
Its all aircooled.With the suitcase mod, I used to one 2 6x2cm fans as exausts and just a 80mm vent, and the PSU 80mm fan, the CPU would average -high 50*C in the summer and 20*C in the winter but my 60mm's seized up and unplugged them over the winter. I wasn't running any CPU monitoring software (CPUCool) this year either (fresh format in spring), it did give me the 70*C warning beep, to I upgraded the cooler that bad a basic 6x1cm fan to a 6x2cm with a higher CFM and it was running great, unfortuantely i haven't had a runing CarPC since my car was in the shop getting painted in July, the monitor is still out for repair and should be done next week, so I missed the hotest portion of the year.

The new case has MUCH more air capacity, as well, I'll be running 3 x 80mm blue LED fans for cooling, so it should be good.
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

thats awesome i really like it

would be cool if the sides of th elogo wernet dark and if MAZDA was lit up a bit too!

but yah good work!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

that is way too cool, where did you come up with the idea?amazing :2thumbsup:
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

fry_81 wrote:that is way too cool, where did you come up with the idea?amazing :2thumbsup:
hes a big comp nerd havent u noticed haha

by the way nerds rule!! 8)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

fry_81 wrote:that is way too cool, where did you come up with the idea?amazing :2thumbsup:
Well, I'm a nerd first and a car enthousiast 2nd. If you know a fair bit about computers, you'll know of case modding, the art of ricing up a computer case, one of the things is putting a window on a computer case to show the insides, add fancy neons and such. I did one on my main computer, and a ladybug on my sister's old case. It's been too long since I got the idea, but I guess I got the idea from custom trunk covers, maybe it was Mr.Spanky's that sparked the idea, that's the only thing I can think of, but I'm trying to think too, is if saw his car after I started on my proejct, not before...I dunno, it's been too long.

It was a project that's over 2 years in the works and too 2 tries to complete :D
Hoodzy wrote: hes a big comp nerd havent u noticed haha

by the way nerds rule!! 8)
Damn straight! 8)
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

well it was over 3 years ago i did mine, wow time flys
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4

Return to “Appearance”