head gasket

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
vtmx3

head gasket

Post by vtmx3 »

I have been doing some work to my 1994 mx-3. New water pump, new belts, timing belt, fuel filter, air filter, basically everything is replaced or is waiting to be replaced.

Now I'm at the point where I'm waiting for my new head bolts to come in from mazda as well my new valve cover gasket.

The online workshop manul is confusing to understand where it talks about the head gasket. All I need to know is do I apply any sort of gasket sealer on the block, and head, before I join them? If so what kind, and how much. Dont work I very carfuly sanded off all the old gasket left overs. Also it says to torque between 50-60 lbs I was thinking about around 58lbs . What do you think?

thanks.
vtmx3

head gasket

Post by vtmx3 »

It should say, don't worry I sanded off all the old gasket material.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

dont yous gasket sealer it will only make things worse and well the torque should be good i just did mine for the second time and well its not that hard.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

I wouldn't use any gasket sealer. Maybe a copper sealant... the spray on type...
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
vtmx3

head gasket

Post by vtmx3 »

ok, so no sealent of any type. Thats what I thought, but I know some people do it differently. Any other info from you who have done a head gasket on a rs might beable to recomend before I start it up?

btw- incrediable pink works awsome on the inside of the intake manifold when cleaning it out. Very nice degreaser. works great.
Shades

Post by Shades »

I hope you have the torque sequence for the head. If not I can get it from work tomorrow for you.

Also when you torque the head down first torque it half of what the final torque is... so maybe torque IN sequence to 25ft/lbs, and then IN sequence to 58ft/lbs or whatever you choose.

I do believe it's an MLS (multi layered steel) gasket, and you don't have to use any sealer.

BUT on the valve cover gaskets, there are places where you should dab some silicon sparingly in the corners to help it seal. On either side of the end cam caps, and the distributor cap at the rear.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”