i did it!!! new engine!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fieromx3
Supporting Member

i did it!!! new engine!

Post by fieromx3 »

well i just made the deal i bought a kl-de engine for 250 bucks. i know a kl-ze is better but i couldnt pass up 250 buck engine. its supposably got 200k on it but that dont matter cuz over the winter im rippin it apart and rebuildin it and make it like new. i pick it up this friday and its in waterloo so it is very close to me. if the rebuild goes as planned i will keep u all posted with pix.
Last edited by fieromx3 on October 2nd, 2005, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Con grats man can't wait to see you out with it!
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

thx it wont be for a while since im rebuildin it and it will cost alot and be some time before i can put it in my car plus now i gotta get a standard tranny
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

You should have went for a KLDE
Down here in Utah, I know someone who picked one up for only $250 with about 120k miles on it.

No replacement for displacement...
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

KL03 is a KLDE
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Teal_93 wrote:
KL03 is a KLDE
LOL
My bad, I read his post too fast
I thought he said he got a KFZE :x
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

dont ever get a kfze... it pulls sorta ok but klde is better and also its not cursed like the kf. :P
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

durin my rebuild i plan on gettin wiseco forged pistons there r 3 different compression ratios i can get. i plan on supercharging in the future and be runnin about 12-14 psi of boost. what c/r ratio would suit this application best 8.5, 9.5 or 10.2. i know under boost conditions u want a lower c/r but i was thinkin that a kl-ze can handle like 7psi with cast pistons and rods and i would be runnin forged pistons/rods. also is honing the cylinders renew the cylinders? so if i did that and used std. sized pistons it would be like new?
vozaday2000

Post by vozaday2000 »

i personally think that 9.5 would be best, you can have a fair amount of boost with that cr with atleast some margin for error for your tuning. just my 2 cents
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/730367 - UPDATED!!!!!!!

'94 MX-3 GS KLZE, KL01 Cams, Fidanza Flywheel, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, WeaponR Ram Air, 2 1/4 exhaust, Nichi Neptune Rims, Toyo Proxy 45 Rubber.

Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

hgallegos915 wrote: its not cursed like the kf. :P
You can say that again!

Almost every KFZE swap Ive heard of had bad luck.

BTW there is no such thing as a KL03, its just called a KL. People say KLDE just to differentiate between the American & Jspec versions of the KL. KL-De owners kept seeing KL03 on their motors (referring to part numbers) and hence spawned the alias :)
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Get it bored out as much as you can with the wiseco pistons.
They deliver in .20 & .40 overbore.

That way you get "new" cylinderwalls, and basically a new engine.
Get the pistons .20 or .40, bring them to the machineshop and tell them do bore it out to fit these pistons.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

fieromx3 wrote:also is honing the cylinders renew the cylinders?
No. It 'scratches' (for lack of better term) up the cylinder walls so the new rings have something to rub against so they can seat properly. If you put new rings in a cylinder that's had the honing rubbed off already, the new rings will never seat, and you'll have crap compression in your cylinders.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

so can i go to almost any machine shop for cars? if not what places around me can bore it out? dont mention essential speed everyone has had probs. with them.
MX-SLICK

Post by MX-SLICK »

nope-mx3 wrote:Get it bored out as much as you can with the wiseco pistons.
They deliver in .20 & .40 overbore.

That way you get "new" cylinderwalls, and basically a new engine.
Get the pistons .20 or .40, bring them to the machineshop and tell them do bore it out to fit these pistons.

nope-mx3
When i had my block at the machine shop the preformance mechanic said there is not a significant enough gain to be boaring the life out of your engine. So basically you turn the block into a disposable block because once you need to rebuild it for whatever reason there is no meat left to work because you machined it all away. Also if the cylinder walls get too thin you may risk having poor heat transfer and risk seizing the engine... He talked me into stock size weisco pistons... I do wish i had an extra block lying around to appreciate the preformance gain of bigger displacment...
94' MX3 GS atx
93 geo storm GSi
99' Ford ZX2 mtx
2001 honda CBR 600
2000 kawasaki kx 500 MX
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

well when i picked the engine up i found out that point zero has an ms8 IM and they will sell it for 150 dollars with the TB. is this a good deal? also for functionality reasons should i make a custom IM or just spend the money and get the ms8? id ont care for looks i just want the functionality for more horsepower. also pix of the engine r comin real soon.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”