How To: GS Rear Subframe into RS Chassis

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.

Was this thread helpful for you?

No.
No votes
Yes.
100%

Total votes: 3

Mazda_Power

How To: GS Rear Subframe into RS Chassis

Post by Mazda_Power »

Further inspection of my MX-3 showed that the rear suspension needed a little attention. Both lower control arms were bent... on each side. The tires were worn horribly with massive postive camber! Also the sway bar was slightly bent because a broken end link was rubbing on it from the side. All of this added up so I figured why not just change it all out?

If you decide that you want to drop the whole thing (like what I am going to try and explain) there are two brake lines that need to be unbolted from the subframe. They are located slightly on the left side on the top if you are looking from the rear. Be carefull and use lots of WD-40 or equivelent becaue the brake lines tend to brake (seize up and twist). Next take off the brake cables. You will have to disconnect them from the "Y" connection under the heat shield. You will also need the GS's brake cables as they connect differently to the calipers than the RS's do. The entire rear suspension subframe unbolts with just 4 - 14mm bolts. Take one off each side and leave the other two "half out". Next take out the bolts for the trailing arms:17mm I believe. Then comes the four 17mm strut to spindle bolts. Your next task will be getting a jack to hold up the subframe as you unbolt the remaining two 14 mm bolts. Once they are off have a few helpers hold either side as you lower the jack. Then just slide it out from underneth and throw it in the neighbor's yard...

Installation is reverse of removal, it's pretty straight forward. just don't forget to bleed the brakes. The MX-3 GS subframe had other goodies such as a solid rear anti-sway bar, and a tie bar. It took me a total of 10 hours for me to do all this, but that includes getting the subframe out of the GS in the junkyard, going home, getting my truck, driving back to pick it up, and taking it back home for installation. If you have the subframe and other neccessary parts expect 2-3 hours for a decent install.

Good Luck!

Aaron
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

Cpl_Bryant

Post by Cpl_Bryant »

Seems like a lot less work than the common rear disc swap. Is the MX-3 GS the ONLY subframe that will work and have the rear disc breaks?
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/cplbryant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

thats gotta be the dirtiest mx3 i've ever seen :shock: props!
92 Autozam AZ3
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Sam Baker wrote:thats gotta be the dirtiest mx3 i've ever seen :shock: props!
ROTFLMAO :laugh:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

Sam Baker wrote:thats gotta be the dirtiest mx3 i've ever seen :shock: props!
:D Thanks. It takes skills like no fender liners, dirt roads, water, and the need to slide around every corner!
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

Cpl_Bryant wrote:Seems like a lot less work than the common rear disc swap. Is the MX-3 GS the ONLY subframe that will work and have the rear disc breaks?
I'm sure on that one. Maybe some Protege's had rear discs. As far as MX-3's I think the GS is the only one with rear discs.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”