is it worth it?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
redmx3babe

is it worth it?

Post by redmx3babe »

Just been informed that my 92 GS needs a new water pump and a timing belt. It's got 98,000 k's on it. Do I proceed with this? Do I dump the car? It's been so good ... but I'm so broke ...
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

why wouldnt you wanna do it? o.0 do it yourself or have a local mechanic do it. Dont scrap a good car for nothing.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

IMO its so worth it - if you have the tools and knowledge and money and if you do it yourself - it gives you so much satisfaction -

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... &&start=30

the thread above has some info about someone who went thru changing the water pump recently -

on a lighter note - you call yourself mx3babe and you even had to ask if its worth it ??? ;)
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

yes
as long as hes not gonna charge u to much
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Juans_93_MX3

Re: is it worth it?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

redmx3babe wrote:Just been informed that my 92 GS needs a new water pump and a timing belt. It's got 98,000 k's on it. Do I proceed with this? Do I dump the car? It's been so good ... but I'm so broke ...
Wait, your car only has 98,000 k's? Are you sure because that is nothing for a 13year old car.
Is it a automatice or manual?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I just did an engine swap instead ;)

Literally, my timing belt has 141'000km's on it and my waterpump was leaking, temporarilly fixed to bar's stop leak, that and with my K8 squeezing by the e-test, those were just the excuses I needed :D
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

Its definately worth it

its expensive but yeah, worth it :)
1997, Silver, V6
redmx3babe

is it worth it

Post by redmx3babe »

thanks for all the support, i'm going ahead with it! This is a trusted mechanic I'm dealling with; they're getting me a good deal.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Hope it workes out, oh, and check out the Toronto Mx-3 section and stop by for a visit on a meet sometime 8)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

Yay, you didn't trash it 8)

it would have been a great shame to get rid of it at such low mileage
1997, Silver, V6
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

what makes you think you need a water pump?

Is it leaking or making a whining noise? or did some jerkoff mechanic just tell you that you need it.

Unless its squealing, hard to turn or leaking coolant you don't need to replace it!
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: is it worth it?

Post by neutral »

redmx3babe wrote:Just been informed that my 92 GS needs a new water pump and a timing belt. It's got 98,000 k's on it. Do I proceed with this? Do I dump the car? It's been so good ... but I'm so broke ...
Gro makes an xlent point re asking whether your H2O pump is actually malfunctioning or not. Replacing the timing belt is within the standard maint. interval based on your mileage. Whenever the t-belt gets replaced, it also makes sense for the H20 pump to get replaced at the same time, since much of the same parts disassembly is involved in both repairs. I'm guessing that your mech might be really saying, "hey, based on your miles, time to replace that timing belt and while we're at it, the H20 pump as well."

While this makes sense per std Mazda maint. intervals, cash is tight so unless your H20 pump is making noise or leaking coolant, you can delay this maintenance. Even if the timing belt breaks before replacement (and I put 160km on mine - replaced when bought the car at that mileage), your engine is designed as a "non-interference" engine that should not damage anything if the t-belt did happen to break. You'd need a tow - but the repair would just be for a new t-belt (& H20 pump if you decided to).

Short answer - if you're not leaking coolant or getting a noisy racket from the H20 pump, putting off this maint. for 10-25K miles should be no big deal. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Last edited by neutral on September 26th, 2005, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image -Jim
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

replacing the water pump is recommended when changing the timing belt on our cars and vice versa. Thats what is says in their repair manuals
FIMotorMX-3

Post by FIMotorMX-3 »

My waterpump went, timingbelt needed to be replaced and then my disty went. Getting all that done was going to run about 900 at a shop, instead of dumping the car, it pushed me over the edge to do the ze swap. got the engine for around 830 after tax and with a few hundred dollars to do all basic maintenance such as gaskets, axles, another disty (my luck got a ze with a bad disty) a clutch and ecu and it was the best damn investment I could have made for the car.... but after doing the swap, it isn't that hard to do the timing belt and waterpump and save you a bunch of money. taking the passenger side tire off gains access to all of your pulleys making it easy to remove your accessory belts. shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, then you have to start tearing it down to gain access to your waterpump and timing belt. I kindof did a half a-- explaination but by removing the tire, you gain a lot more space than trying to do it any other way.
sold it to a friend.93 green MX-3 with ZE swap. KL36 ecu, modified carbon fiber intake from a civic hatch. Centerforce Dual Friction clutch from MX-6. black Konig Minuz wheels, Synthetic fluids, 3 gauge pillar pod with air/fuel, water temp and oil press. Autometer Shiftlight. B&M short shifter. 2.25 piping with a Greddy SP1 muffler, AWR urethane front motormount, pheno spacers, Intrax Springs, Mazdaspeed Sideskirts. The New Ride is a 2003 1.8t a4
check out myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D795345349

my cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2142324 UPDATED!!!! 08/28/06 newest pics

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”