Just had my car in for its annual MOT,

Failed on two items

Drivers Side Rear Shock Absorber - £131

and

Track Rod End needed replacd - £100

Steering re-alingnment - £ 40

MOT certificate - £ 20

With Labour comes out at £350 - Ouch

So can someone tell me what the hell a Track rod end is and what it does?
snellgrove

Post by snellgrove »

I believe its suspension related!

but I am not entirely sure what :lol: sorry!

sucks that the bill is that high, but I suppose you are used to it? I know I sure am, my car happily punches huge holes in my wallet from time to time.. :P not enjoyable, but price you pay I suppose for a car like ours :D
1997, Silver, V6
UKMX-3

Post by UKMX-3 »

Well the Mechanic said it was steering/Suspension so i'm happy to pay for it because i've had some funny noises coming from the front wheel area for a while now.

Hopefully its all good now and i can get some quality mods done to my car.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I'm guessing that's the term for 'tie rod end' on your side of the pond? Mine only cost $13 U.S. though and I replaced it in 20 minutes on my own. You do need an alignment after a tie rod end, though. That's crazy that your inspections look at suspension components though. Is the MOT done by independant shops, or by a government run facility? If it's an independant, they may just be trying to ream you for extra money. They tried doing that to me in the state of Nevada where the emissions inspections are done independantly, they tried telling me they could 'get it to pass' for $300. I drove straight down the block to a facility that only tested and didn't offer mechanic services, and I mysteriously passed with flying colors.
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Count the turns it takes to remove it and put the new one on the same way, you will still need an alignment but it won't be totally wacked. You can rent a tie rod puller or a pickle fork usually for free, the puller is better. :werd:
BADMX3

Post by BADMX3 »

it's about £25.00 for the track rod end and i'm no mechanic but i replaced mine...

but including labour you probably paid about right
garfy1981
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by garfy1981 »

Ouch on the shock absorbers !!!
I got bilsteins for about £70 each.
Pays to shop around ! http://www.provenproducts.co.uk they have been the cheapest on everything ive wanted, ( suspension, brake pads, black diamond discs )
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: UK MOT - Track Rod End Failure

Post by neutral »

UKMX-3 wrote:...So can someone tell me what the hell a Track rod end is and what it does?
Track Rod/Tie Rod - same thing. This link gives a good explanation of its function along with a pic.
http://www.carcare.org/Steering_Suspens ... _rod.shtml
Image -Jim

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”