just bought a mx3....first car EVER!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

tonight i was messing around with stuff on my ride, and im starting to notice a gas smell....ive noticed other people with this same issue. the gas is literally spitting out my exhaust...kinda scary :| and of course, my water pump still hasnt been replaced. thats what i get for not getting it fixed asap. ive learned my car is now a lemon. ill prolly just throw it in the junker when it actually dies. its a shame. i love this car, ill save up, and get a 95 GS. hopefully it wont take me more then a year.
My names Dave, and Mazda has direct access to my bank account...sighs...
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

well, finally got to fix my water pump....and i did my timing belt as well....

before i started anything, i did a compression test

and i have some numbers to post....i forget them, i wrote them down on my engine. starting from the left to the right

165/135/125/150

rs 1.6 sohc 1992 5 spd...if anyone call tell me about this stuff, id appreciate it.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The 150 & 165 are decent numbers.. the 125 & 135 cylinders arent sealing to well.. probably due to carbon build up on either the valve faces or the valve seats.. I think the numbers are too high still for it to be burned valves.. But likely your valve seals are wearing out. Not that big of a deal.. Once you get the engine done.. run it hard at high RPMS for a bit then check your compression again. That will help break up any carbon deposits on the valve face or seats.. You could also run a can of Seafoam through your engine as well.. Seafoam is pretty good at eating carbon deposits (add to fuel or pour slowly directly into your throttle body while the engine is running.. not so easy to do). Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

im going to check the manual on what u just said....cause all i heard was throttle, gas, and rev.....

thanks for the point in the right direction.
cheers :roll:
DaRepoMan73

Post by DaRepoMan73 »

You can also....if you do it CAREFULLY you can squirt transmission fluid into your throttle body with it running while holding the throttle up so it doesn't die. That will also clean off any carbon build up but I wouldn't recommend it if you still a cat converter
92 MX-3 rs(3 of them)
93 Probe GT klze
95 GMC Sonoma 355ci 425hp V-8
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

k, i got home today and started to notice a ticking noise...its coming from either the fuel injection or maybe the pistons are tapping the top of the head?....if thats the correct wording....

any suggestions?
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya im having the same noise, i just finished replacing the water pump, ac belt and alternator belt. and top and bottom hose from the radiator. damn everything seemed to go wrong and the thing still dies when i start it up i just idles too low and then kills....the sound seems to be coming from either by the valve or the alternator not sure. i just got a 95 with 98k on it but the lady didnt take very good care of her car.
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Make sure that yall have plenty of oil. The lifters make a lot of noise in the v6. I don't know if it is a common problem for the 4 bangers as well.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
mycarhatesme

Post by mycarhatesme »

just wanted to update my post...

i put some time and work into the ride, its running great!

thanks to all for the help....car is running strong with lots of pull at 217kms.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”