Help me drop in a BPT

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Help me drop in a BPT

Post by Jovian2k »

Ok I have my MX-3 sitting at home in Hamden, CT with a dead ATX. I am driving a piece of s--- Blazer right now and want my MX-3 back for obvious reasons. I could drop over $2000 on a new transmission or put that money into a BPT with MTX swap. I would love to do this but I do not know enough about cars or have the tools to do it. I am sure I have enough for the project I am wondering if anyone in the northeast would be willing to help me out with the project and what the cost (to them) would be. I would be available any weekend. Like I said I am sure the $ would not matter I just want my baby back :?
Shades

Post by Shades »

JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

why not just swap in a BP to start with, then swap a BPT when you learn a little more about them?
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

That is actually a good compromise especially since time is also an issue. I am wondering if I can drop one in with my and my friends limited knowledge, is it possible? I hve heard it is fairly straight foreward, the next step is getting an engine and transmission. Has anyone done the swap without being an expert with cars? The swap manual that Shades posted looks fairly simple but I don't understand it all. Maybe a Shop Manual would help...
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

swapping engines isnt that hard, specially the BP swap if u had a 4 cyl in teh car before... it all plugs back in directly where it went, the only diff when putting a BP in is running the VICS wires, but thats not hard, all u gotta do is untape the wires, splice new ones into em, and run them into the car... otherwise, just drop the engine in, bolt it up, and plug the wires back in... but make sure u have a BP ecu..

u might have to get a sensor for the exhaust manifold, but thats only if u got a new enough bp

all u need is:
a engine lift
a jack or two
good set of sockets / rachet

some free time :)

also, read this post, its a very very well writtin step by step walkthrough for dropping a bp in... http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=34815

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”