3 Questions bout making MX3 AWD need expert advice (PART 2)

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I have to agree. I've swapped in the rear BG AWD crossmember and type 1 diff onto a MX-3 shell a few years ago just to see if it would bolt-up. I picked up the rear half of a '90-'91 Protege 5years ago for $1000 (and sold off the glass, bumpers, lights & sheet metal)

Certain MX-3 made in early '93 use the center floorpan stampings of the GTA-e/ GT-R not the 323/Protege meaning the hard points and reenforcements of the AWD are built into the floor already.

These days there are thousands of F serie AWD tranny floating around in the scrapyard in North America the they can be picked-up for $300-$350 so that's not a problem. I will be necessary to cutdown the center drive shaft

The only real problem would be to find a OEM dual fuel pump (BG) gas tank. I have (had) one from the scrap AWD Protege I bought.

Josh wrote:First off it is totally possable and will not take 10 K to do. try 1,500 US and about 80 hrs of hard labor and fabrication for one person.

i know because i just finnished mine yesterday, :) well for the most part. so yes I HAVE AN AWD MX-3. and trust me it is BAD a--. well worth the work. i just took it to the All Mazda Meet in WA today, and won for Best of Show. i will get some pics up tomorrow night cause i have another show to go to in Canada tomorrow. Fun Fun. i need to get the alignment done and finnish my exhaust properly but other than that it is finnished.

so to answer your post you dont need to tube frame anything. if your worried about twisting all you have to do is put in a 6 or 8 point role cage and you will be fine. you have to beef the rear sub up alittle anyways for the torque of the rear end.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

D323 wrote: Josh is right... a good cage and you should be fine... look at some of the guys in the UK, the have 400+hp/tq AWD 323s on the same basic uni-bodies, and they dont have twisting issues.
You don't have to go look at oversees to find 400hp+ BG 323 AWD. In the mid '90 there were 5 GTR owned by a 53year old guy in Maine. Unfortunately he had a heartattack at the wheel of one of his rally cars a few years later. There are 3 in Canada that I know of one of which I have driven
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

pics in image and video section
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

:shock:

That's all I have to say. Congratulations on finishing it!
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

You guys know what would be nasty, a MX3 with a DSM tranny (in the GSX Eclipses)
Yeah, I know the gear ratios wouldnt be good for our V6 engines but if you were to get the appropriate ratios that would be INSANE. Those trannys along with the stock axels can take a sh1tload of Torque and HorsePower. Also, the final drive on those cars is 3.73s on both the rear-end and front-end. Not too low, not too high, it would be perfect for any high-powered MX3s. I would rather have 3.73s then 4.39s (probe/mx3 trannies) or the 4.11s (mx6/626)
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”