Bosch Platinum +2 sparkplugs

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ariesdude

Bosch Platinum +2 sparkplugs

Post by ariesdude »

I changed my sparkpugs recently and i put this Bosch Platinum +2

- my motor is a 94 1.6L DOHC with ATX.
I have seen a dramatic power increase since then and the motor is running fine - But a mechanic told me that these plugs are very powerful and produce a lot more combustion and hence might damage the engine/tranny. I have learned enough to not beleive what mechanics say - but i want to confirm this just in case. Does anybody have any info on this - should i take them out and put some NGK's in there or is this fine.

Also what do you think of this Bosch platinum +4 thingy -

happyclown

Post by happyclown »

I think your mechanic is full of crap. Thats like telling some one not to cook in the microwave, they are too intence it will damage your toung. I'd bet your mechanic is very against using any octain booster and such isnt he.

i could be wrong in which case i will feel like a total jackass, but oh well... thats what i think. :roll:

I'll bet those 4's are a beetch to gap. Do you know if the gap is supposed to be smaller since there are more terminals?
1993 RS Teal
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

I have been to many mechanics in the past month and the only thing i can agree on is that they are full of crap and try to overcharge me 10 times as much.

The instruction for these plugs say they are pre-gapped and never try to gap them....
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

What your mech says doesn't make sense to me. I've run the +4's and yes they are pre-gapped. Whether using +2's or 4's, producing more complete combustion via a better spark isn't going to stress your engine or tranny out - it simply produces more complete combustion of the air/fuel mixture, which is what you want for an effective running engine. btw, independent Univ. of Michigan testing of the +4's didn't show any measurable dif over other sparkplugs although they reportedly may have a longevity addvantage as they are rated to last longer than some other plugs, at up to 100K miles.
Image -Jim
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

Wow... spark plugs that may damage the transmission... Just think if you put a K&N filter on it! It would blow for sure! :roll:

I was always told buy spark plugs from the same country as your car: American: AC Delco - Champion, European - Bosch, Japanese - Denso, NGK.
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you and your mechanic are BOTH wrong, those spark plugs DO NOT have more hp or power increase and no they wont damage engine or tranny. But you already got them installed so dont take them out, leave them in till next spark plug change.
Normal NGK's work just fine for reference
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

I did notice a lot of power increase after the sparkplug change - but i think it is because the NGK 's that were in there were completely fried. And the ngk wires were another sorry story. I noticed that the insulation on the wires had kinda melted near where it clips on those 4 clip things on top of the valve cover. Any 2 cent sparkplugs and 3 cent wires would have given the improved performance i guess - but i know i am not going back to that mechanic again. Thanks a lot for the info guys - really appreciate it.
acespdz

NGK Platnium 2

Post by acespdz »

I Have these installed on my car and they work great.. I was having alot of idling and acceleration problems so i change the plug and Rotor and now it has more power than ever and for an AUTO that is a really really good thing. I wish i had a 5SPD
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Yeah me too - i had idling and acceleration problems and changing the plugs solved the acceleration problem and improved the idling a bit - i am gonna try and change the coolant temp sensor to see if there is any more improvement.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”