Squelling Noise when engaging clutch

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kev259

Squelling Noise when engaging clutch

Post by kev259 »

Had this problem ever since I first bought my mx3. Have since dropped in a ZE, new clutch. It happens when I engaging the clutch moderatly heavy. If I'm real easy on it it doesn't happen at all.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Is the squeek coming from inside the cabin or in the engine compartment? In engine compartment, I'd ask if you replaced the throwout bearing when you put the new clutch in? If in the cabin, grease the pivot points of the clutch pedal and the shaft of the cable when pedal is fully depressed.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

this exact thing happened to me..it turned out to be the release bearing.... it dies and then the teeth broke..car lasted a good 3 weeks making this noise... then BOOM..i couldnt shift.. I had to flopat gears all the way home..not fun at all.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Sure its not a belt noise?
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
kev259

Post by kev259 »

I think it's coming from under the hood. Weird thing is this has been happening for years, never affected the driving/shifting. The clutch engages perfectly, just makes that damn noise!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

So you did a ful engine swap and new clutch, but didn't replace the bearings?
kev259

Post by kev259 »

Hmmm, I dunno. I had someone do the swap for me(Travis Williams). Where are the bearings? Sorry I'm not to car savvy...
kev259

Post by kev259 »

Just to clarify, this only happens while engaging the clutch, once it's in gear the sound is gone....
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

I think throwout bearing, too. It's located right in front of the clutch disk inside the transmission bellhousing - a day or two's work for someone familliar with the car, or something like $500-600 for a shop to do it... sorry, man ;)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
kev259

Post by kev259 »

Yeah that's kinda what I thought. It's coming from the engine, guess I'm going to have to have someone look at it. On a side note, does anyone know a good mechanic in the Denver area that has experience with mx-3s?
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

You should have someone press the clutch in and stand in front of the car and try to pinpoint the area the sound is coming from.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
kev259

Post by kev259 »

Good idea, I'll try that tonight.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”