Air Intake what to do.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
slowmx3

Post by slowmx3 »

Aston Wards wrote:....you've just got to look at some of the setups above, unvented pod filter are great...., for the first 10-15mins, then your under-bonnet temps rise and your sucking in hot air. Then you've got the filters on the end of long shiny, metal intake tubes, the filter might be getting cool air, but the tubes will be all heated up, not to mention the added length must surely be screwing with the vris points.
If you want a 'nice look and sexy sound' get a big 'ol pod filter, if you want a performance increase, get a K&N panel filter
You don't get nearly as good of air flow with th panel style filter. If you have the metel tubes, they aren't going to get hot enough to affect performance, think of how fast the air is moving through there, then think of how frickin hot your intake manifold is. So how do you figure longer air intake tubes are gonna affect VRIS operation? A little trick to do, is remove the weather stripping over the drivers side headlight so air can flow threw that crack. Any fresh air is a plus. Most of the most powerful FWD street cars i've seen just have the short ram setup, being a cone filter in the engine bay, none of that fancy crap.
1992 mx-3, a couple mods, i'm still a n00b
---Don't try and church your car up, MX-3's aren't fast---
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

when you guys say panel filter, are you referring to a K&N filter that goes into the stock air box cuz I tried looking for a K&N filter to fit the airbox about 10 months ago and couldn't find anything. They made one for the RS but not the GS.... :?
What I drive: A Cybertronian disguised in the form of a Creek Blue Mica 95 MX-3 GS. :driver:
Long term goal: Fabricating a new transformation cog! :welder:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

just get an ebay one, I just got one 40 dllrs shipped true cai.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
robinek

Post by robinek »

Hi, I just want from you, guys, to asure me that's the right CAI set to apply. I found it on eBay and it's originally for Acura Integra 90-93 (recommended in the previous posts) with K&N filter. Could you please comment this item if it's the right one to apply to MX3 1.8 and what about price? Because I'm from Europe, I must add 40usd for shipping but even in that case it's acceptable price. But when you know about cheaper option WITH K&N, please let me know. url: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 7999599023 Thank you
slowmx3

Post by slowmx3 »

Just go to a parts store and buy a K&N to fit on the end of the VAF, that why you get a lifetime filter, and save $$
1992 mx-3, a couple mods, i'm still a n00b
---Don't try and church your car up, MX-3's aren't fast---
robinek

Post by robinek »

After VAF makes it only short and unfortunatelly hot air intake and I¨'d like to recommended long cold air intake, that means filter is almost below engine and gets cold air. But I know K&N is more expensive than UNI filter but I believe it's almost lifetime.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Gotta start doing some homework guys, it's probable that it's all been asked and answered already, several times.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=cai
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

robinek wrote:Hi, I just want from you, guys, to asure me that's the right CAI set to apply. I found it on eBay and it's originally for Acura Integra 90-93 (recommended in the previous posts) with K&N filter. Could you please comment this item if it's the right one to apply to MX3 1.8 and what about price? Because I'm from Europe, I must add 40usd for shipping but even in that case it's acceptable price. But when you know about cheaper option WITH K&N, please let me know. url: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 7999599023 Thank you

the end of the filter is tilted, u need the end of the filter to be completely straight so it may not be long enough even if u cut it, which i wouldnt recomend cuz the more cuts u make the worse ur intake
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
garfy1981
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by garfy1981 »

Is there any pics out there of filter set up's for the straight neck KLZE ??
2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

I have one question for all of you guys...
When i flip the throttle the engine moves, and im sure under load and accellerating it moves even more..

In the stock system the accordian gives and stretches to compensate for the engines movement..

But what about the CAI's with rubber or silicone adaptors and metal piping, they cant give or move that much as i see it.

If you dont give them a bracket they will move around in the enginecompartment every time the engine moves, and if you giv them a bracket wont the engine moving around try to pull the pipes and couplings apart?? :(
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

3 couplers before the air filter should be able to compensate for those SMALL engine movements, but your line of thinking is sound. AFAIN, It hasn't been an issue of concern until now. If an engine flops around that much it may be time for new engine mounts.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
nicacus

Post by nicacus »

you could be retarded like me and buy a weopon R intake for 200 dollars.. then you get it and it doesnt fit... so you go to home depot and buy some PVC pipe and rubber gromets.. and make it fit.. works beautifully...
big waste of money though... other than the filter... the filter is nice.. I dunno about 85 bucks nice.. but it has a lifetime warranty on it..
1993 mx-3 GS, weapon R secret weapon air intake, 4 gauge ground wire kit, full exhuast Otto Racing muffler. ractive front and rear strut bars. tons of other crap that I am much to lazy to type..
16" wheels, with Falken ziex 512 tires

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”