Gas mileage and other newbie questions?!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Cwin

Gas mileage and other newbie questions?!

Post by Cwin »

Hello, I just bought a MX-3 RS 1.8 V6 on Saturday. I love it but have some questions of concern. I just filled it up a couple of days ago and it's already gone down to a quarter left on the guage, is this the mpg I can expect? I also can not find my engine block heater plug in. The car came with an an alarm system intsalled near the driver's side headlamp. Could this be a factor? And lastly, the car came with the CV joints needing replacement. Should I anticipate any other services at 97000 KM on the Odometer for a 1992 model? Thanks in advance for any help I can get on this!! This is my first car and I'm CRAZY about it!!! Where can I trade in my stock spoiler for a supra type?!
David Coleman

Re: Gas mileage and other newbie questions?!

Post by David Coleman »

Well, all you said is that you filled it up and drove a few days and it was on 1/4 tank. I can go through several tanks in a few days. Then again, I last filled up 3 weeks ago. You see our dilemma. It's called Miles Per Gallon, not Days per gallon.<P>In light of this, I get between 26-30 city, and 30-35 highway. I have different gears than you[4.39:1 final versus my 4.11:1] because I now have a MX-6 transmission
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cwin:<BR><STRONG> Where can I trade in my stock spoiler for a supra type?!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Please, dont.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Cwin

Post by Cwin »

You're right Dave,<P>I should clarify!<P>I've driven 289 Km since I filled the tank and now it's at the quarter mark.<P>And are you against the supra spoiler or just a big fin in general? If it's the supra thing, what's a good spoiler modification that you would recommend?
sk94gs

Post by sk94gs »

I usually drive until the orange light on the fuel gauge comes on. I can get about 300 km's city driving and close to 600 km's on the highway. That's in the summertime, the mpg in city driving drops a bit more in the cold Canadian winters too.
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

Well, I always keep track of my km per tank fill up. And I average about 430 with a mixture of highway and city. More highway though. Thats from right full, all the way to when the light is continiuously on. The most I ever got out of a tank with mostly highway is 504 km. <P>Also it depends on how you drive the car...do you like to stay in 3rd gear doing 60 km/h? I usually switch to 4th.... and if you are really penny pinching dont let the revs get to high and shift sooner...not too soon, like 3grand or so.. umm.... hope this helped
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Nottahonda

Post by Nottahonda »

I think that if you have a 92 1.8L it's a GS not an RS. May be different in Canadia. As far as things you can anticipate in the future, 97000 km is about 60000 miles, so in about another 15000 miles (or at 120,000 km) you should change your timing belt. Hope you don't have to get a new distributor, but it will prolly happen. There are a bunch of factory recalls as well that you can get fixed for no charge, so might as well do those. Oh, and the plug wires will need to be changed around the same time as your timing belt. I am forgetting stuff, but there is plenty of info on this site if you just take the time to look around. Good luck, and welcome!
Casey Guthrie
[email]goesfast@theraces.com" target="_blank[/email]
Quazi5

Post by Quazi5 »

I agree with nottahonda. 75000 miles is about the time the timing belt should be changed along with the plug wires. As for the CV joints they are most likely why the person bfore you sold it. If you take care of the beauty that you just bought she give you a lifetime of enjoyment. Parts are expesive but they will last if you take care of them. Hope I can help in the future & Welcome. :p
Blake Gibson<BR>'93 Black MX-3 GS<BR>Anyday is a good day if I'm in my MX-3.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”