ZE running Hot!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
shawno

ZE running Hot!!!

Post by shawno »

Hey im wondering if its a normal thing. That my ZE runs super hot the guage is reading past half and the engine is super hot.

I dont no if these engines normally run that hot but i was wondering if i put in a different themostate the engine would run a little less hotter.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

The coolest I could find was a 170F thermostat. Your car will run a tad cooler at freeway speeds, but the same at stoplights since your fan still won't come on until 210 degrees F.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Ya i've only ever seen 180F thermostats, and my engine ran so hot I think I cooked the wiring. I added an external oil cooler but really haven't ran the engine since.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Check and make sure your radiator is good. I had to change my radiator after my ZE swap. I don't think the two were related. The radiator just happened to be bad.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Ya I changed mine too with no luck, you could have an air pocket in your system too, take the fill cap off and top it off and don't put the cap on until its ready to pour out and just leave the rad cap alone.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

You both replaced your rads and say that you noticed no significant change. Drats, I was actually looking to try that route - 13 year old rad has got to be on it's last legs anyway right? Someone even mentioned drilling extra holes in the thermostat. I've even thought of the next step and that was to remove the thermostat all together. Car will never see another winter or excessively cold weather anyway so I really can't see that being a problem unless there's something I'm missing.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The engine needs to operate at the specified temp. Most of the sensors that use temp to guage resistance will not work properly (or give the wrong reading) and you'll end up with a whole new set of problems. There is no issue with the temp neadle riding just above half way, and I know the engines are super hot, but that also is not a problem. Why try and "fix" something when it isn't borken?
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
shawno

Post by shawno »

Yeah i changed the rad a few days a ago becuase the last one got a hole in it.
I got a alumioum ( Or how ever u spell it) rad from a 626 its a bit bigger.

Everything is checking out i was thinkin of putting on another fan on the rad to help cool it down.

So do most people have the problem of there engines running hotter the half the the gauge.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

um if it makes any difference... my kfze is HOT to the touch.. but temp reads middle...i believe these engines are supposed to run hot? o.0
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

My gauge ever since the swap is always a bit above half..... and it does seem to run hotter.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I would suggest a radiator from radiator world.com they work nice. Make sure all hoses are super tight..if oens a bit lose you will start losing water like me. I forgot to put the water resevoir and well it overheated ..almost :/
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

A radiator doesn't need a resevior to run propperly... Also the guage should read just barely above half.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmmk thats what i initially tought..maybe iot is running a bit more hot... :( not after i put in the resevoir.. maybe im going crazy..
-hec

shawno

Post by shawno »

Yeah thanks guys i thouhg maybe that it was a bad thing but since other ppl have the same problem it should be alright i hope. I just didnt want to toast my nice engine

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”