steering wheel shakes at 80mph

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mxprecidia

steering wheel shakes at 80mph

Post by mxprecidia »

I just had an alignment. At around 70mph the steering wheel shakes a little, then the faster i go the more it shakes. What could this be?

Thanks
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Alignment probs generally don't cause shaking.

First suspect: wheels need to be checked for balance. Even wheels that were balanced with new tires can need rebalancing as the tires wear. Even more necessary at higher speeds.

Another possibility is a front wheel bearing that is worn, even if just beginning to wear, which can cause a shaking front end vibration noticeable at higher speeds.
Image -Jim
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Also check and see if any of your tires are rippling or cuping by rubbing your hand over them.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Yea check to see if the tires are balanced. You might have thrown a weight off the rim or you might have hit a pot hole which caused the rim to no longer be balanced.

If the alignment is off it is more likely to cause the car to pull to one side or the other and to cause uneven tire wear.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

could most likely be ur balance and if its ur bearing u can usually hear a squealing noise mine is shot and it is squealin pretty good. also check ur tires to c if any weights came off.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”