1.6l SOHC DEAD!!! HELP!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
dude33694

1.6l SOHC DEAD!!! HELP!

Post by dude33694 »

Alright... heres the deal. I picked up this car saturday for 200 bucks because it has body damage and needed a water pump. its a 1993 mx-3 16v SOHC 1.6 liter with a 5spd. well, got the car back here, spent all day (off and on) changing the timing belt and water pump. In the process, I did have to move the alternator out of the way. Now, there is no longer a massive amount of water pouring from the timing cover, but when I let it heat up a bit water dumps from the overflow... Already bought thermostat which will be changed tomorrow, but now for the BIG problem. I shut the car off in the driveway, spotted the leak, checked it, decided to put in the thery to see if it helped and *click* dead battery. So I charged the battery and started it again, went to move the car. Right when i hit the brakes, the idle bogs down. I press in the clutch and select reverse, it bogs down worse. I turn on the lights and the car dies. Now, the problem is that I am not sure if the alternator works on this thing, i never test drove it b/c of water pump (unless you call driving it onto a trailer a test run) but the belts are secure and the alternator looks reasonably new. Also, my tach is whacked out, it lasts for about 15 seconds of driving and then dances and drops to 0. I plan to check out the wiring and switch the thermostat... but any ideas would help greatly. thanks in advance,

-Taylor
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

same thing happened to me on my1.6L DOHC it was the altenator fried and drained the battery so thats what im guessin u have unless u have a short in one of your wires somewheres and its draining your battery
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
dude33694

kk

Post by dude33694 »

well im checking everything now.... just foudn out the temp sensor was broken off too :roll: who woulda thought? anyways wish luck

-Taylor
Solo

Post by Solo »

check ur wiring, had the same prob but everything was corroded
BooYaH Screaming Team
http://solo.monchar.com -> 15,871@88,5MPH -> Top speed 230km/h
http://stuart.monchar.com -> building in progress
RaVeR 4 life BabY!
got a Protege 1.8 SOHC 4x4 for winter ^^
Mazda_Power

Post by Mazda_Power »

How did it go? Was it the alternator?
'92 Festiva L powered by a 1.8L SOHC Protege motor - For Sale
dude33694

yea...

Post by dude33694 »

haha ya sorry bout the delay ive been extremely busy... might be buying a probe this weekend with the 2.5l :-D anyways the alternator turned out to be the problem... or at least most of it. The car will recharge now, however, the idle drops when you hit the brake from about 900 to 750, flip on the ac and you might see 400 rpm... also, (for the record this is uncles car, switching from dodge for gas saving) last time i test drove it, the protege alternator worked out fine, but when i pulled out i had to get a little speed. on the shift from 1st to second, slid into gear (clutch slip) and the same from 2nd to 3rd. I adjust the pedal to get all the pull... so im thinking clutch. Any tips or info on my next project for a clutch swap would be appreciated, and i promise to keep up with it better.

Oh and for the record i never fixed that broken temp sensor... just put a nifty switch over the ashtray for engine fan :-D

-taylor
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Re: yea...

Post by atlantamx3 »

dude33694 wrote:, the idle drops when you hit the brake from about 900 to 750, flip on the ac and you might see 400 rpm...
This is typical for the MX-3... particularly the SOHC 1.6

Do a search on LOW IDLE.... there are several things to check!
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
dude33694

alright

Post by dude33694 »

well thank you, bout to do search... oh and where can i land an avatar? thx man

-Taylor

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”