swap from DOHC to SOHC (yes DOWNGRADING)

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Domnknpimp

swap from DOHC to SOHC (yes DOWNGRADING)

Post by Domnknpimp »

ok. I swaped my engine out of MY SOHC Mx-3 for the BP... runs great...
Have old SOHC engine sitting around, got a free Mx-3 (94, DOHC) with a blown engine... Now whats being done is, I'm trying to get a 2 for 1... Get rid of the engine i have sitting around, and get the 94 mx-3 up and running.

Now I know there are a lot of differences between the engine, no problem, take off the TB from the DOHC and put it in the SOHC, this will take care of any problems with the plugs on the TPS since its going into an automatic car. The ONLY plug that i'm having problems with is the one on the distributor, because the 93 and down Single cam has the Coil on the firewall, and the 94 + has it inside the distributor.

I was planning on going the easy way out of course, and swap out the distributor (only one screw will hold it in, dont care ) and plug and play, BUT the distributor wont go in because the water outlet is in the way. So now i'm stuck with the alternative of getting the plug for the SOHC's ignition coil, and for the distributor, getting an external coil, and using the distributor off of the single cam engine.

I tried the search, which mostly gives me results on how to go from DOHC to BP or BPT which is fine except backwards, since its the same plug as the SOHC.... BUT they all say to simply use the distributor off of the old engine...

What I need is if anyone can tell me what wires do what on each car, so I can splice the wires and get it over with.

I need to get this car running asap because I blew the BP in my '93 shortly after putting in my T3 (The spring on the wastegate i got from a friend was supposed to be a 3 lb spring for temporary use... turns out to be a 15 lb spring).. the turbo spiked up to about 17 or 18 lbs, detonated and put a hole in my piston....

So anyways I need to get this car running for as cheap as possible, I would of course prefer to just put a BP into the 94 and call it a day, but with the money i would pay to get that engine, i can almost get my forged pistons and rebuild mine.... Also there are no junkyards around here with the 1.6 DOHC engine that i need ( plenty of BP's though :-D )
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

well i guess no one else has ever done this before... well i just got my distributor from the DOHC and grinded off a big chunk... just enough to get it to fit... by the way i remember reading somewhere that the TB from all the B series engines were interchangable... NOT true as i found out today.... the DOHC on the mx-3's bolt pattern is not square like the other engines... o well i'm putting the engine in tomorrow and going to sell the car :-D 100 % profit
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

sounds like you are getting stuff done. Only problem I think you might run into is ecu. I don't think the SOHC one will plug into the DOHC harness and the DOHC has more timing advance so eventually you will burn up something in the SOHC.
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

yea i was planning on using the DOHC ecu.....
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i dont think the dohc plug, plugs into the sohc
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

i'm using the same ecu that came on the car.... same wiring harness... and same distributor... the only thing i'm seeing as a problem is that when i mount the distributor... the timing isn't where its supposed to be... i'm thinking i will have to re-wire the plugs and the injectors

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”