Help! Burning oil--valve guides?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Glimmergal

Help! Burning oil--valve guides?

Post by Glimmergal »

Hello fello mx 3 lovers-- need some feedback please.
I have the raspberry metalliac, 1993 & she's just turned to 140K-- V6 & OK so she's burning oil-- my mechanic says plugs are corruted, need valve guides? or re built engine? or head job? rings? pistons? it's leaking oil into the cylinder? he said to just keep puttin oil in- -uses bout 1/2 to 1 full quart a week.
Is is a huge ordeal to find this rebuilt engine? I love this car & wanna keep her for at least a couple yrs if not more..it's my 1st coupe!
It's a stick, leather seats-- sunroof--spoiler & bumpin stereo!
How can I put a pic of her on here?
& thx for any & all efforts --- for any advice/feedback
PEACE OUT
LIS
PS my name on aol & yahoo is glimmerstein40-- thx guys!![/url]
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Unlikely the valve guides are worn out.. more likely the Valve Seals have hardened up and are allowing oil past them down the valve guides into the cylinders. Replacing the seals them selves is actually pretty easy.. taking the engine apart far enough down to where you can replace the seals is what is time consuming and not very easy work. Your least expensive solution would be to probably find another used K8 engine and swap engines altogether. This could probably be done for around $900 to $1200 depending on the shop and how much you get the engine for.

Please be aware that this is not something I would recommend for anyone that doesnt have experience working on engines. Its not that I dont think you could do it.. its just that there are more places out there that are likely to scam you than there are places that will help you. So if you cant identify a good engine when you are purchasing one.. take someone with you that can. A used K8 (the engine you have is a K8 ) will run $400-$600 depending on where you buy it. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

bleh its easier to get an engine upgrade...you need almost no experience just basic safety precautions.. but dont get another k8> even if this k8 does have bad valve seals..its cheaper to do the swap.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I suppose you would hand a gun to a 5 year old too eh hector? ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Glimmergal

Ha u guys

Post by Glimmergal »

wow I'm gonna have to print that out & give it to the guy hello
Keep the posts coming-- enjoy them very much & thx for the costs too cause I dont know s--- bout that...this mechanic I trust, he's cool & knows his s---...
Peace
Lis
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

lol sure why not :P well i mean if hes a mechanic he will be able to do the swap easy. It took me 4 days and im no exoert :)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”