What fuel setup to use on a K8T

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Teal_93

What fuel setup to use on a K8T

Post by Teal_93 »

I am working on gathering my parts to turbo my K8. I will be using a T25 turbo & plan on running 5psi to start. I already have the KL 220cc injectors & fuel rail, side mount intercooler & the turbo.

What fuel ratio would be best to run? 12:1, 10:1 or 8:1?

Could I just buy the OBX FMU? Or would I be better off with the cartech 2025 or Vortech fmu?

I'm trying to build this on a budget using mostly used parts. Not that I need to, but just want to see what the least amount that I can spend on a decent setup would be.

Anyone with a turbo setup wanna chat & help me out on MSN look me up... just click the msn link under my signature
slowmx3

Post by slowmx3 »

I say if you are going to do it than do it right. Get a bigger turbo and millinia S injectors, don't forget higher output pump too. Honestly though t25??? You can pick up 14b mitsu turbos all over the place for practically nothing. Most people seem to have the best luck with the cartech FMU it seems like. But honestly don't put the T-25 on, they are too dinky.
1992 mx-3, a couple mods, i'm still a n00b
---Don't try and church your car up, MX-3's aren't fast---
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I agree, a T25 is way too small.

Also, consider using a Megasquirt, and remove the MAF etc.
Thar way you dont need a Cartech or a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

Only thing you would need would be bigger injectors (220cc should work for a while) and a walbro 255lph fuelpump ($95 on ebay), also I would recommend a new FPU (linear, adjustable, about $40-130 on ebay).

That way you can increase the fuel pressure from the stock 42 psi (I think) to anywhere between 42 and 80 psi. Then just use the Megasquirt to manage fuel.
You can also manage ignition etc with a Megasquirt with the right firmware and small hardware mods.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I know a guy that is using a t25 on a ZE and it works OK. I think for starters that t25 should work.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

220's would be pletty fuel for a while..I've ran my 220's on 5 psi almost all summer but on a ze so on a k8 shouldn't be a problem.
I'd say go with the cartech. It's the most expensive rrfpr out there but it does the job quite good. Don't worry about using a 10:1 or 8:1 disc since it is ajustable by the turn of a knob

t25 will be good on low/mid power. Forget it pass 5.5-6k
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
slowmx3

Post by slowmx3 »

i'm not trying to hate, but why would you waste the time/money on the T-25, cause after that you'll get sick of it and want something better, and you will have to make the mount different and get a new turbo. I'd say go 14B if you are looking for cheap, cause the 14B is ALOT better than the T-25. Just my thought though.
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

Thanx for all the tips guys.

I had thought of using megasquirt, but right now for starters I wanna keep it cheap & simple. I'm not looking for outrageous amounts of power as I will be swapping to a KLDE sometime in the distant future.

My K8 runs too good right now to just take it out & throw it away. Considering the only thing I would really need to change when i swap motors is the turbo & mount. So far with the parts that I have. I spent around $65. I got the fuel rail & injectors for $15, side mount intercooler for free on trade with my back seat. T-25 turbo for $50, I get my piping for free from the local exhaust shop. I do all my own welding. So the most expensive thing will be the cartech FMU.

So in total by the time I have everything purchased I should have under $400 in my project, not including my time of course.
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

Well since there is a majority vote that the 14b is better than the T-25 i'll keep my eye out for one. As a matter of fact I might actually know where one is if the guy still has it.
slowmx3

Post by slowmx3 »

You will be much happier with the 14B, that still is a relitivly small turbo, but it is much bigger than the T-25. And the 14B still spools quick too.
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

on my k8 turbo I found out that with the stock 175 cc/min injectors, and stock fuel pump , combined with a 12:1 Fmu ratio I got a very lean reading on anything past 7 Psi of boost. After that I installed the 220 cc/min injectors from a Kl, the Walbro 225 fuel pump (or 255 I can't remember that correctly) and a Cosmo Racing Afpr and ran very very rich. I lowered the Fmu ratio to 8:1 but still got really rich. Then I finished my testing beause I warped head because my coolant radiator was smashed. It was really rich because I inspected my turbo piping and was really really dirty. I supose that the walbro 255 is far overrated to be used ona K8 or even a Kl , I will reccomend anyone to stik with the 190 one.
European Mx3 GsRT
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

So would it work to keep the stock 175cc injectors, then just upgrade the fuel pump to a 190 & a 8:1 fmu?
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

It depends on what boost level you want to reach. I wasn't able to lower my fuel pressure under 39 psi due the large Walbro fuel pump. I really didn't tested the Kl injectors and the stock fuel pump at a static fuel pressure of 20-25 psi with a 4:1 or 6:1 fmu ratio, but I assume that it's the way to go.
European Mx3 GsRT
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

I really didn't tested the Kl injectors and the stock fuel pump at a static fuel pressure of 20-25 psi with a 4:1 or 6:1 fmu ratio, but I assume that it's the way to go
So try it out this way?

220cc injectors, stock fuel pump & either a 4:1 or 6:1 fmu?
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

that would be a good starting point for what I experienced on my t3/t4 turbo. It will vary depending on the size of the turbo you will use. Don 't forget the adjustable fuel pressure regulator to lean a bit your car at idle or it will be super rich!!
European Mx3 GsRT
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

SWEET, Thanx, BATTOSAI

Return to “Forced Induction”