Sorry, newb question about BPT swap

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
CarMan1

Sorry, newb question about BPT swap

Post by CarMan1 »

isnt the bpt swap just the BP swap with a turbo on it? or is it a totally different engine? ive been doing some reading from the searches, and it sounds like theres 2 different types of BPT engines, the jdm version and the "american" one.....
nickmx3

Post by nickmx3 »

the j-spec gtx which has the bpt 1.8 is 185 hp around there the bp j-spec is non turbo and around 140hp. the us gtx 130hp, the only difference between the j-spec bpt and bp is the turbo the engines look identical, the internals are slightly different because one is turbo the other n/a
1995 J-Spec Az3, BPT swap, mazda speed eibach springs, mazda speed swaybars, mazda speed exhaust, mazda speed shock tower bar, mazda speed bodykit, sr shocks, disk-brakes all around,turbox boost controler, honda del sol act pressure plate, fmic 20x12x3
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Isn't their a GTR @ 210hp?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

but the GTX version is like dropping a reg BP in but it has the turbo right?

im trying to find out how much harder dropping a turbo'd bp is then dropping a regular one... i know the tubing and stuff but thats not really that hard to do, just time consuming..

and is a bpt engine a 1.8L or a 1.6? i always thought it was the 1.8... if its a 1.6 then theres a turbo'd 323 in a junkyard bout an hour or two away with a running engine in it... they only want 450 for it .. thats not too bad, and i bet i can talk em down a little bit,
D323

Post by D323 »

b6t = 1.6L Turbo from late 80's BF platform GTX.

BPT (GTX/GTR) is a 1.8L turbo (180/210 hp respectively)

The BP and the BPT GTX are identical blocks minus the pistons. The GTX uses 8.2 CR pistons while a NA BP uses 8.8 CR from 90-93 and 9.0 CR from 94+.

The NA BP has a better flowing head as well due to the port restrictions found on the BPT GTX. The restrictions are there to create a 'swirl' effect and increase MPG.

In theory a NA BP with a turbo added will be faster than an imported GTX. Mainly due to the higher CR and the better flowing head. However, NA BP's have the VICS system, which the BPT GTX's from overseas come without. Many will just remove the butterflies in the intake, or just force them open all the time.

The GTR block is different. Sodium filled valves, squeeze cast rods, and a few other minor upgrades. The major difference is the turbo that is good for a shiat load of boost.
GS + BP + T3 + 9lb flywheel - some dead weight = ;)
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

ok, so getting a reg bp from like a protege is the best way to go in the long run then? or would the bpt from the 89' 323 be the way to go? im looking for a fairly simple swap too, i know the turbo makes it tougher, but not much, the tubing is almost the hardest part, specially if i can take the 323's ecu also.....

and this 323 would have the 1.8T? or a 1.6T? still kinda lost on that one...
and sorry i just re-read my question and i kinda worded it wrong... im looking to drop a bp(1.8) into my car since i read its a simple swap.. if the BPT from the 323 is basically the same engine with a turbo on it, then that would seem the better route.. just trying to find out before i go do it...
D323

Post by D323 »

The motor in the 323 is more than likely a b6t. (1.6L, GTX moreso referrs to the car than the motor itself)

The simplest swap for the EC and BG chassis cars is the BPT (1.8L GTX)

The good thing about using a NA BP is that you can get a Protege LX locally and rob all of the ECU and harness and just for the motor, then use some sort of aftermarket control to run the boost and upgraded fuel.

Trust me, I just sourced all that JDM crap and it is a PITA.
GS + BP + T3 + 9lb flywheel - some dead weight = ;)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”