mx3 alternator swap

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jody42

mx3 alternator swap

Post by jody42 »

hi i have a 95 dohc 1.6 mx3. the alternator died and i was wondering what other alternators from different cars will fit it.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Welcome to the board! This topic has been asked a billion times. Only an alternator for you specific car will fit with no problem. the GS alternator will fit but holes will have to be drilled out. I have an alternator out of a late model protege that I made fit with some modification.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
jody42

Post by jody42 »

thanks,it was siezed up ,ran for a bit then nothing,,i'm hoping its just brushes and bushings.got a quote of $140 to rebuild it.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

I hope $140 is for a total rebuilt one!!!! Cause u can get a used one from a junkers for like $20-$50 bucks (have to take a chance though!!)

Where do you live? cause around where I live there is a guy that will total rebuild everything in the alternator and rewind it for more amps for $100 bucks cash. He did mine two years ago - went from a 60amp alternator to a tested 86amps. Been that long and no problems (was gonna go for a GS alternator, but then I have to chance a used one). This way I new I was getting a good alternator back, with at least a year's warrenty.

word.
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
black_mx3

Post by black_mx3 »

I got an altenator out of a early 90's 626, and changed the pullies over from my old one..works prefect!!
buying modded cars is like dating a pregnant woman...somone else already had the fun!
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

i bought a altanator from Advance Auto for like 125$, tho i had to grind the thing the screw runs through down to get it to fit, but works like a champ, even with a massive stereo in the car....

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”