Clutch freeplay / throughout bearing engaugement Q

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mdavis

Clutch freeplay / throughout bearing engaugement Q

Post by mdavis »

Basically my question is this: If there is no free-play at the end of the clutch pedal (very light spring - basically loose space when the clutch pedal is almost all the way let out) does this mean that the clutch release arm is constantly the pressure place, keeping the throughout bearing constantly rotating? If so, is that how it's supposed to be? (Is the throughout bearing supposed to be constantly in motion even when the clutch pedal is all the way out)

I ask because I just installed an ACT clutch, and depending on how I adjust the nut at the pedal, there either is or isn't a small amount of loose space at the end of the pedal. I made myself a slightly extended release rod, so I have some space to adjust that clutch nut at the pedal. (People always say ACT clutches like to grab RIGHT of the floor stock, and that you should cut/grind a new release rod) If I use the nut to adjust the clutch at start grabbing about 1" off the floor (where it should be according to the shop man) there is no free-play at the end of the pedal - but if I adjust the nut to so that the clutch starts grabbing almost right off the floor, I can get about a centimeter of loose space at the end of the pedal. That's now I'm using it now, even though it's annoying to have it engage so close to the ground + you really have to push it in the shift smoothly - but I want to make sure that the clutch pedal ISN'T adjusted so that it sill always be slightly engaging the throughout bearing, and wear it out.

I hope that makes since.

[edited for spelling]
GS-R SE
Fixin's
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You need the pedal to have about 1/2 inch of free play at the top of the pedal. aka, depresses 1/2 inch before you feel the clutch start to disengage. That should leave the full engage right at the bottom of the pedal so that when letting off the pedal the clutch starts to grab almost immediately. I know this may seem a pain, but that is what a performance clutch should feel like. stiff, and grabs quickly on the release...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Damn. That's a little annoying. What's funny is I actually took my new (longer) clutch release rod out and ground it down just a bit more than I made it originally (not maybe 1/8" longer than stock) - now that i've done that it seems that the petal is distributing the force farther than before - that is that it's easier to push the clutch in, and the total distance from start to finish of engagement is longer. I guess I should make another rod just a bit longer this time..

What about the throughout bearing? Do you think it's making contact with the pressure plate if there is no freeplay?

My last clutch was a Clutchmasters II and its pressure plate (stock release rod) felt as soft as stock. I though clutchmasters was supposed to have a stiffer pressure plate..?

Anyways thanks for the info.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The clutch masters does have a stiffer plate, but it uses a slightly different design on the pressure plate to give it a lighter clutch pedal. The ACT one is designed to give a racy feel.

As for the throw-out bearing it shouldn't ever be able to contact anything that is spinning when it is not supposed to. If the clutch is adjusted properly (as I stated above) then it will not be touching anything unless you are using the clutch pedal.
As for the rod legnth, I used the stock on my ACT and it works just fine. The adjustment needs to be right on. I just can't see the rod legnth making much difference.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”