Bogging in wet weather...

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Typhoonk wrote:so what year is it? might be able to get the code out ur self, or your mechanic friend can do it for you.
can't find the link now but I bet someone could post the link to how to pull the codes. If you have a code. U should find out what trigger'd it fix the problem - don't just reset the code and hope. And too reset - remove negative terminal, pump brake 5 times slowly then put the terminal back on. Should take about 15 to 30 seconds to complete this. post the code when u find it and we'll give you a better idea of the problem
Agreed. That code may be of concern. Shop manual details specific info wrt each code. Jump Ten and Ground in diag box to get codes.
Gro Harlem wrote:seal ur distributor cap off from any moisture entering into it. i bet you 1000 dolla that thats the problem. Its very common for older cars OR check the plugswires, if moisture is getting near the plugs it can cause missing
Tanya, changing your disty cap may have been a nice idea but not completely necessary. There's a gasket that sits between the cap and disty. They do tend to breakdown and fall apart over time. New disty caps don't have a self contained or separate gasket so you still may have a potential problem lurking if your gasket is not intact. The gasket normally rests and stays on the disty when the cap is removed. Do you remember seeing a black gasket? If you've taken a power washer to your engine bay, then perhaps water has gotten inside the spark plug access inside the VC which can lead to arcing between the spark plug insulator and the VC. Cracks in the insulator are almost impossible to find only if you can see black charring marks on the outside of the insulator. A quick plug chop can sometimes tell you which plugs are getting a better burn because of a better spark and vice versa.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
sexy_mx3

Post by sexy_mx3 »

Well here's another update on the beast that is nothing but problems.... :evil: Well, thanks for all your suggestions but I am thinking that I have finally gotten closer to the bottom of this whole ordeal! Well here's my story...
Went to Peterborough yesterday to do some running around with my b/fs sister. Well, we toured a little went for lunch, watched an accident get cleaned up and no sooner I made fun of the girl having bad luck with her car, someone got me back. Well I'm driving down Landsdowne Street and start smelling anti-freeze (I remembered the smell from when my b/fs beater had to replace the hearter core). Well I pulled into Chapters, turned off the car, and looked under it... well low and behold there's a liquid dripping from under the passenger side of the car! Well I know that it wasn't the thing that holds the coolant itself bc that was on the driver side.... So I called my g/f at work (who's husband is the mechanic) and luckily one of my friends were there and he came right away to look at my car. Well he got underneath and couldn't see if any hoses were leacking or anything, so I called my b/fs buddy and asked if I could bring my car by his family's dealership and have the mechanic there put it up on the hoist and look at it for me.... Well he said no problem and I brought my car by. (Luckily his ex owned a Precidia too so they knew what they were working with.) I left it there bc the mechanic was a little backed up and got a ride from my buddy to the mall. Well Dom (dealership friend) called my cell and told me the news....:
I need a new water pump, timing belt, fan belt, and powersteering belt! Apaarently the things don't look like they have been touched since coming off of the production line!!!!! So now my car sits at the mechanics until Thursday sometime when the mechanic can get to it and I'm stuck driving the 89 Jimmy in the driveway! I don't know what I am going to do if another thing goes wrong with this car! The mechanic asked me what else I have had to do with this car since I have bought it and I told him and he thinks maybe it was given a fake safety....So I dunno, but I thought I would further share my nightmare.... :cry:
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

sorry to hear :( , but the water pump and belts are normal wear and would have to be replaced eventually , especially since no being changed since production ....did he give you a estimate of the cost ?
sexy_mx3

Post by sexy_mx3 »

Yes he did give me an estimate for the cost... to be honest I think it's a pretty good one too, only bc for my b/fs car (98 Z24) a water pump for him is around $1000! So for my car, parts and labour, $625... :oops: Talk about a great guy! He said that they're giving me all the parts at cost, to be honest I couldn't be more lucky or happier...I dunno what do you guys think? Sound like a good deal or am I just new to the whole thing??

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”