kl-ze potential

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
duncan

kl-ze potential

Post by duncan »

hey everyone im new to this so i dont know a whole lot. anyway i got mx-3 gs and want ALOT of power to take to drag competitions. and was wonderin about the kl-ze how much power can u get out of them? what times can i expect? i plan to turbo just so you know. i want to get forged internals and hopefully make 20psi if it can hold it with cr at around 8.2-8.5. i want to try to get to the 10 or 11sec range so would it be possible to get to those times with a built up kl-ze?
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

you can atleast build the engine to make it, the problem would be fwd, no LSD etc etc.

getting the power to the ground will be a hard task.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
duncan

Post by duncan »

yea i know traction would e an issue well i am gonna get an lsd an i am pretty sure quaife makes one for us and i will get good drag radials urethane mounts and if it helps traction bars at the back. anythin that will help traction i would do. and thx for the reply. i was at cscs yesterday and most cars were doin 11's at like 125mph and watchin all that made me want to do this alot and i wanna enter it in competition next year and run the same times
DavidOS

Post by DavidOS »

skys the limit, its ur bling that will do it
1994, GS, KLZE, 67mm TB, LightFlywheel, Centreforce Stg 3 Clutch, CAI, KL36 ecu, B&M shortshifter, Solid poly mounts, lightweight Aluminum Cross memeber, 2.5 high flo cat, 2.5 all back, Tanabe Exhaust, optima battery, ZX2 HD tokicos, eibach prokit, black altezzas.....

http://www.modifiedmazda.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
duncan

Post by duncan »

thx guys anyway from now through winter i will be buildin it up to make it a racer first i gotta get the engine. so through the winter what parts should i get to get the best possible e.t. i already got intake and 2.5inch exhaust piping. if i get the money for turbo i will get it and rite now i am aoutmatic. any suggestions would be great
MX3newbie77
Supporting Member

Post by MX3newbie77 »

If you are looking to do something like that, you should just get a KL-DE. You are going to need more agressive cams anyway, so it is not worth paying more for them and a compression ratio you are just going to throw out the window anyway. The ZE also has the weakest retainers of any K-series engine, not good news for a high-revving race engine. Here is a website with some good pistons and rebuild sets . . . http://www.importperformanceparts.net/i ... mazda.html

Good luck with the traction too. You might need to go with an extremely high rebounding strut in the rear, with a ton of dampening in the front. That way, the car bounces off the rear suspension and sinks into the front focusing more weight over the drive wheels.

Oh, and lose the automatic. :wink:
MX-3 Money
Supporting Member

Re: kl-ze potential

Post by MX-3 Money »

duncan wrote:hey everyone im new to this so i dont know a whole lot. anyway i got mx-3 gs and want ALOT of power to take to drag competitions. and was wonderin about the kl-ze how much power can u get out of them? what times can i expect? i plan to turbo just so you know. i want to get forged internals and hopefully make 20psi if it can hold it with cr at around 8.2-8.5. i want to try to get to the 10 or 11sec range so would it be possible to get to those times with a built up kl-ze?
Ahhh, the hopes and dreams we all once had.
1993 MX-3 GS 5 spd, KL-ZE swap, kl31 ecu, 110 amp alternator, Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley, SSautocrome headers, High flow cat, Pacesetter high flow cat-back, B&M shortshifter, Clear Sigs/Sides.
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

:werd: So many people "talk" about doing stuff to their cars....
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

my advise is to sell ur mx3, and spend the money on a car with rear wheel drive or awd. mx's can be fast, but its so much damn work to get um to hook up, not worth the effort. good luck though if you plan to go thru with this and I hope your wallet is ready. I just did a swap and spent just about 3 grand and ill hope do be doing 14's. I actually hope you could do this though, itd be fun to watch the building process

good luck man
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Research and experince...

edited..
Last edited by kiwi_MX3 on August 15th, 2005, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
duncan

Post by duncan »

Rick Johnson wrote::werd: So many people "talk" about doing stuff to their cars....
well over the winter im not goin to have a full complete built up engine i know this will take along time and alot of money it will be a challenge but it will be fun. i should have an engine with quite a few upgrades to it. all i have to pay for is 800bucks for insurance and thats yearly and gas. i make a grand every 2 weeks so if i start now i can get at least half of this stuff. just like babybluemx3 he has a built kl-ze. the thing that will get me is the turbo so i am goin to try everythin else so dont say nothin until u know what the other person can do and put them down
duncan

Post by duncan »

and if anyone doesnt know what mx3newbie77 said about the retainers there are some titanium retainers for are engines available from ferrea valves along with race valves, spring seats and other stuff
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

take some pics while your doin it i wanna see it sounds like fun
good luck i hope it turns out sweet
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
opdmize

Post by opdmize »

I think you'll find you could just sell your MX-3 and get into the "10's" or "11's" with a cheap, older factory turbo AWD car for much less trouble and money.
1993 MX-3 GS/SE KL-ZE'd
duncan

Post by duncan »

well thats the thing i dont wanna sell my car i was thinkin about it and gettin a car with an ecotec but ive done alot of thinkin and i wanna keep mine. i know it would be a real challenge ALOT of money and hassle but its a challenge i wanna do. alomost anythin is possible and even if it takes me a few years im willin to take that time and do it anyway.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”