running higher octane on your mx3 does help with power

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Mazderati

Post by Mazderati »

MX3 Money.

Most airport gas stations in Canada offer up to 100 octane. Head up to the 'Shwa airport on Harmony Rd and they should have some.

Cheers!
8) 8)
96 GS, 17" Niche's, Falken 40's. Eibach springs, Tokico S/R struts, Ractive front & rear strutbars. Supertrapp exhaust, K & N intake. Soundstream Reference, JL & Eclipse audio.

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Sigh. . .higher octane in a stock mx-3 is a waste of money (period).

If you didn't notice, the guy is driving a porshce and Audi. Both are high proformance cars with high proformance/compression engines. The only reason to use high octane fuel is to prevent premature combustion in high compression engines. This is why mx-3s with forced induction and advanced timing must use high octane fuel. Our stock mx-3s are low compression and do not require nor benefit from anything but the recomended fuel. There is no denying it. Remember, the myth the high octane fuel is "higher grade" is a myth. It's only purpose is to not combust prematurely.

I'm done ranting, the information is on the internet and this site. The topic has been discussed numerious times. Unless your engine in knocking, high octane fuels will do nothing.
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm »

MX3-Freak wrote:Sigh. . .higher octane in a stock mx-3 is a waste of money (period).

If you didn't notice, the guy is driving a porshce and Audi. Both are high proformance cars with high proformance/compression engines. The only reason to use high octane fuel is to prevent premature combustion in high compression engines. This is why mx-3s with forced induction and advanced timing must use high octane fuel. Our stock mx-3s are low compression and do not require nor benefit from anything but the recomended fuel. There is no denying it. Remember, the myth the high octane fuel is "higher grade" is a myth. It's only purpose is to not combust prematurely.

I'm done ranting, the information is on the internet and this site. The topic has been discussed numerious times. Unless your engine in knocking, high octane fuels will do nothing.
I hear u MX-3 Freak, point noted.
However, no matter what anybody says, certain UK members of this forum carried out independent experiments with using 98 RON fuel, mainly in the UK.

The honest & impartial results are on this forum in the European section.
The whole idea was to get a realistic view of these fuels.
NOT mislead anyone. We noticed a difference with our cars.

I use 98 RON because my 1998 RS LOVES it. It thrives on it.
It is a cleaner fuel. I get a better burn and better emissions.
And lots of other benefits as previously documented.

I ran my previous car (a 1988 Honda Accord 3rd Gen JDM 2.0i-16 DOHC beast - 160HP) on 98 RON for the 4.5 years I owned it. It loved it too - never missed a beat. And the new owner recently touched 120MPH on a motorway. That car had 148,000 miles on the clock when I kissed it goodbye. It's still running on steroids - perhaps because of the 98 RON it had. (Protected the engine from premature wear, kept it clean)

98 RON costs more. It's expensive - but I love my MX-3, and in the UK, where we DO seem to see a big difference between 95 & 98 RON, only the best is good enough for my MX-3 "Blackbird".

Thunderstorm

:D
1998 MX-3 RS 1.6i DOHC "Blackbird". Totally Stock.

The 21st Century is a con; where is my Hovercar?!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058708
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

DJ wrote:In the manual for the V6 it calls for atleast 91.
Just think this should be highlighted. Also, it the last weeks of having my K8 in the car, I used 87 just to see what would happen. It actually felt a bit torquier than with the 91. However it idled like junk and shot out black smoke like crazy under hard acceleration.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
mike_moss

Post by mike_moss »

mazdubber wrote:
DJ wrote:In the manual for the V6 it calls for atleast 91.
Just think this should be highlighted. Also, it the last weeks of having my K8 in the car, I used 87 just to see what would happen. It actually felt a bit torquier than with the 91. However it idled like junk and shot out black smoke like crazy under hard acceleration.
Anyone else run 87 at all? What are the effects?
2001 Mazda MP3 | 1993 Mazda Protegé GT
My MX-3.com Feedback | My CarDomain Sites

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”